Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
MDhog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 Exhaust question

Sorry if this is covered on another thread, but here we go. Just got on '11 Utlra Limited with the 103. Like everyone else I guess the heat coming from the CAT seems excessive. I want to install Vance & Hines dresser duals to get rid of the CAT. Question is, will my stock mufflers work OK on these (can't afford the slip-ons right yet) and will I need to get the Fuel Pack as well or change my AC? Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup - good or bad???

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Should be fine like you are wanting to do,if you add air cleaner will need to add tuner.will still be hot,but better

Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just did a full stage 1 on my limited including the head pipe. Pipe was a bit harder to change out than I would have thought. Ended up tearing up the gasket in the crossover pipe and had to get another. Anyway thought I would mention many people like the sound of the stock exhaust once the head pipe is changed out. Makes it a bit louder and deeper sound. There are lots of head pipe options out there Fullsac, V&H, Jackpot, American Custom and some simply remove the Cat from a stock pipe which is probably the cheapest option. Some dyno tuners say the O2 sensors do not work properly in a de-Cat'ed head pipe but many people report good results.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by MDhog
Sorry if this is covered on another thread, but here we go. Just got on '11 Utlra Limited with the 103. Like everyone else I guess the heat coming from the CAT seems excessive. I want to install Vance & Hines dresser duals to get rid of the CAT. Question is, will my stock mufflers work OK on these (can't afford the slip-ons right yet) and will I need to get the Fuel Pack as well or change my AC? Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup - good or bad???

Thanks!!!!

no Cat = less back pressure = CEL(check engine light)

Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if you are on a budget, just have the cat removed from your header pipe rather than buying a new header.

the above post is the first reference I've seen to a removed cat and check engine light--- I dunno about that.

mike

Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Never seen the check engine light in 1600 miles after removing the CAT. Also, why do people give you the abbreviation and then explain to you what the abbreviation means? WTF

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 09-01-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CEL w/no ***** = BS!

Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I call BS also, on that check engine light thing.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 AM
John Bakker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance the O2 sensor leads were reversed upon install. This may turn on CEL as well as account for any strange running .

Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the "automobile world" removing the cats do cause a Malfunction Indicator Light. So most people would guess it occurs for mc's too!
In my race cars with efi and off road X pipes we have to install MIL Eliminators to the rear after cat sensors. Which fake the light that a cat is still in place.
However, with the motorcycles it shouldn't occur being pre-cat or all the exhaust people and/or after market would offer a MIL Elim devise, as this (below web) for Mustangs.
Believe me, if it was going to turn it on, it would be on!
my 2 cents....worth of cel.....
Just shade tree operations

http://www.americanmuscle.com/stmile...FR9hgwodrX_J4Q

Last edited by Holster Maker; 09-05-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 103 Exhaust question