Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart slipons or true duels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
mjaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart slipons or true duels?

I have the stock headers and V&H oval slipons on my bike now. I want to replace them with Rinehart slipons, or should I go with the true duels instead? Would I gain any performance with the True Duel setup? There is about $400 difference between the two.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

You'll lose low end torque with the true duals. You may not notice it with your butt dyno tho. The duals sound better IMHO.
Jeff

Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just like the looks of the Rineharts over the V&Hs, just go with the slip-ons. If you are looking for a perfomance gain, I doubt there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two. I don't have any evidence to back it up but both companies are high performance manufacturers with great reputations. Since, IMO, there is no difference with the slip-ons, if I were looking for a performance gain, I'd go the whole system. Of course, changing the complete exhaust system also starts the ball rolling on intake and fuel management upgrades. But oh, don't those true-duals sound so sweet!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

as noted above, if you are looking for performance gains true duals are not the way to go.

define what you want-

looks- that you only see when the bike is parked

sound- which is subjective depending on where the listener is, and what they wanna hear

performance- that's the one that matters to me, not blistering fast, but taking advantage of what is there.

mike

Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated, I would stick with the slip-ons unless you want to gut your low end torque. I have been down the true dual road, they look great, sound great and reduce heat a little bit but it lowers the low end too much for me.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of slip-on Rinehart's being delivered today. I bought them for the sound they may make. I am not concerned myself with extra power. I'll post a little follow-up in a few days.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 AM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case I went with the V&H dresser duals. I found out that my rear cylinder exhaust pipe was split. HD wanted $210 for a new pipe, or $410 for new V&H duals set (including the heat shields). I can't tell any difference with the butt dyno...

If you go with Rinehart True Duals, make sure the pipe diameter is the stock size so you can keep your slip-ons. A buddy has the true duals & he has the larger OD pipes & slip-ons. Not interchangeable with stock pipes or slip-ons.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

For what it's worth! ---- I got rid of my Rinehart True Duals a few weeks ago. I didn't do my research before I got them. The left side comes out of the back cylinder & right down to the left side. A good mechanic told me that he talks people OUT of the Rinehart TDs because that pipe comes out & it's too close to electrical stuff. I had WAY too much heat too. Maybe it wasn't the True Duals. Maybe just tuning. Anyway, I got rid of them & got Vance & Hines Power duals & back to Rush slip-ons, and now the left side pipe goes UNDER the frame again. Much better. Not near as much heat. Knowing what I think I know now (!!!!!!), I'd go with just the slip-ons.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
For what it's worth! ---- I got rid of my Rinehart True Duals a few weeks ago. I didn't do my research before I got them. The left side comes out of the back cylinder & right down to the left side. A good mechanic told me that he talks people OUT of the Rinehart TDs because that pipe comes out & it's too close to electrical stuff. I had WAY too much heat too. Maybe it wasn't the True Duals. Maybe just tuning. Anyway, I got rid of them & got Vance & Hines Power duals & back to Rush slip-ons, and now the left side pipe goes UNDER the frame again. Much better. Not near as much heat. Knowing what I think I know now (!!!!!!), I'd go with just the slip-ons.
Hi,
Do you mean you wouldnt go with the V&H headers again? I have been thinking of using these and some other slip ons to help me rid the CAT etc....
cheers
R

Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

No. I wouldn't get Rinehart True Duals again. My excessive heat problem went away after I put on Vance & Hines Power Duals. It's a 2 into 1 into 2 (that "X" pipe) and the left side pipe goes under the frame from the right side. Then you can use the Rinehart slip-ons if you want. Yes, I'd do the Vance & Hines Power Duals again if I ever get rid of this bike & get another one. Probably getting a tuner who knows what he's doing on a dyno didn't hurt either.

Quick Reply: Rinehart slipons or true duels?