Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011 | 06:52 PM
2009blackpearle
|
Road Master
Default wheel alignment

any know of methods of checking the alignment of the front and rear tires, an easy way would be nice , i have a wobble in the front steering and wont let go of the bars any longer, the front tire has been changed on the 407 to 408 recall on my 2009 ultra, the old 407 had a bit of a wiggle when turning at low speeds when the rain grooves on the side of the tire made contact while turning. the 408 goes on and it seems to be easier to go into a power wobble if I am not hanging onto the bars, it was too bad when I first had it replaced but now I will not let go of the bars. it really starts to flop from side to side once it gets going. I have checked the steering column which is tight no play bars do the 3-4 flop thing when pushed ,the front axle is tight, the wheel bearings have no play in them and all 4 yoke clamps on forks are tight, if i keep the air pressure in the rear shock right near maximum it isnt as bad , but riding 2 up caused the back end to be lower so it gets worse, It was never this bad with the 407, my back tire is pretty worn got 18000 miles on it and it is fairly flat on bottom hardly any rain groove left, this makes it a bit hard to corner since you have to almost pull the bike over the flat to the round side wall when turning. getting a new tire in the next week. which brings me to another point of the american elite tires. I plan on doing the rear but not sure about the front , if it is indeed the crap 408 causing this wobble how do i know the american elite front will be any better. Looks like the same tires to me except without the harley logos

Old 08-31-2011 | 07:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

get a new rear tire first. I was gonna go with the elite, but they were backordered, then dealer had a sale which gave me same out the door.- so free logo I guess

to check alignment get 2 x 8 foot long florescent bulbs, with the bike upright, put the bulbs on the floor and roll them up snug to the rear wheel. measure the gap between the front wheel and the bulb on each same, should be the same.

quicky method, roll through a puddle, the 2 tracks should line up and you should see the track from the front tire centered on the rear.

assuming you have the manual if you did the fall away test ( with clutch cable and wiring removed, right?) the intricacies if alignment and adjustment are in there.
mike