Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thump going into 1st gear??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
nivensid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump going into 1st gear??

I have a new Limited, 1700 miles so far. I did the 1000 mile service including the clutch adjustment. Before and after the adjustment I have a loud thump when going into first. I went with Mobil 20-50 synthetic V Twin oil in the primary. The clutch feels correct and the fluid level is right on, checked twice.
Is this normal, everything looks and feels good when riding except for the thump into 1st.
I had this on my Honda and got used to it, but worried about the Harley. Any suggestions from the experts here??

I have also read and learned alot reading all the threads on this great forum.
What is the loud bang some people hear when they start up and their compensator needs to be replaced? Is that when they go into 1st gear?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:18 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

My 11 Limited does the same thing going into 1st gear. Pretty sure it's normal. I have about 1500 miles on mine. The compensator issue is at start up in neutral, you will hear a bang. The Limited's have the SE compensator so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Your new Limited with the 103 already has the SE compensator in it so I don't think that will be a worry for you. All of the big twins have a thump going into 1st gear. If you think there is a problem take it back to the dealer under warranty.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drew4jan
Your new Limited with the 103 already has the SE compensator in it so I don't think that will be a worry for you. All of the big twins have a thump going into 1st gear. If you think there is a problem take it back to the dealer under warranty.
Even the sportys do it.

Heck, even my Buell had it.

I think its just part of the design of the harley transmissions.

(My Yamaha warrior and my FZ6 also had the same thing, regardless of what fluid I ran)

If you do take it to the dealer, ask them to inspect the primary chain for correct tension, if that is out of whack, it can give things a clunky feeling.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 flh has that thump going into 1st and it has 42,000 miles on it and the oil is spotless, no metal, at oil changes. If it doesn't bang, shake, squeak and make other unknown noises your not stradling a Harley.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That loud thump is normal.
Sometimes mine feels like it would just take off down the street, even though the clutch is dis-engaged.

However, there have been times, when the shift to first has been silky smooth and quiet.

I have no idea why it's sometimes a loud bang and sometimes a smooth quiet shift

Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by semiret
That loud thump is normal.
Sometimes mine feels like it would just take off down the street, even though the clutch is dis-engaged.

However, there have been times, when the shift to first has been silky smooth and quiet.

I have no idea why it's sometimes a loud bang and sometimes a smooth quiet shift
Sometimes with any gear. Smooth one time and a rock crusher the next. But both the primary and gear oil are metal free aside from the normal clutch wear particles in the primary.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 69cj
Sometimes with any gear. Smooth one time and a rock crusher the next. But both the primary and gear oil are metal free aside from the normal clutch wear particles in the primary.
My god so true.

I've tried every possible method of shifting from:

Cut throttle as you pull in clutch, immediately shift.

Cut throttle, pause a moment, pull in clutch, immediately shift.

Cut throttle as you pull in clutch, delay shift.

Cut throttle, pause a moment, pull in clutch, delay shift.

All four methods will produce varying results depending on the speed, rpm, position of the stars, and what's currently on my tivo.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Its part of owning a HD, it can be minimized by correct clutch and primary chain adjustment and a good primary oil. Ive had good luck with Redline V Twin Primary Oil.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it have anything to do with the transmission oil? I switched to Spectro Gold and it got rid of most of the shifting "clunk". Not sure if "thump" and "clunk" are the same issue, but mine is shifting a lot smoother.

Quick Reply: Thump going into 1st gear??