Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBW Plugs

In this pic there are two plugs on my TBW sensor,the green plug,and the little black plug. On my 08 there was no little black plug,the wire was just snipped off and heat shrinked,it did not go anywhere. Now there is a little black plug that seems to go all the way into the fairing,but it is not being used. Can anyone tell me what this is for ? I am going to do away with it if it is not needed,fo I will have more room to internally wire my new bars.

Attached Thumbnails TBW Plugs-tbw.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
notrailers
Road Master

The heat shrink on is for the optional heated grip option. If you are going with aftermarket bars and routing your control wires through the handlebars you may want to think about deleting the green plug and hard wiring the 6 wires that control the TBW for two reasons:
1) make more room
2) eliminate a point of failure in the TBW wiring harness.
Just my 2 cents

Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

So the black plug with the two wires (black & white) is for the heated grips option?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Jukebox
Road Master

Has anyone ever extended the TBW wires so as to move the green plug out of the inside of the bars and into the fairing? If so what gage wire is it,and is it single or stranded wire inside the red,black,and white wires on the TBW Assy.? Any info on internal wiring on bars would really be helpful. I have done this once before but this time I want to make it easyer by relocating the green plug out of the inside of the bars,and by removing the outer black insulation from the wire looms as well. This way I would have more room inside the bars for the wires. Whatever info you guys can give me would really help.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukebox
Has anyone ever extended the TBW wires so as to move the green plug out of the inside of the bars and into the fairing? If so what gage wire is it,and is it single or stranded wire inside the red,black,and white wires on the TBW Assy.? Any info on internal wiring on bars would really be helpful. I have done this once before but this time I want to make it easyer by relocating the green plug out of the inside of the bars,and by removing the outer black insulation from the wire looms as well. This way I would have more room inside the bars for the wires. Whatever info you guys can give me would really help.
Two weeks ago I had to replace my twist grip sensor. During the install the green plug kept getting unplugged and the bike would go into limp mode. I totally removed the green plug and soldered the wires together. I know that HD has a SE version of the grip sensor that is for longer bars but this does not have the green clip and is wired inside the fairing. I did not know this when I purchased the sensor and was stuck with it so plugged the connector in and cut each wire on each side of the connector and soldered them together so I would not miss wire the sensor.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Just grab a 32310-08 sensor

Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Thanks for the info TexVet and Dawg. I just went ahead and made my own long wire sensor by cutting the wires between the sensor and the green plug and adding 30" of wire so that now the green plug will be pulled all the way through the bars and get plugged in inside the fairing,and since I'm not a fan of heated grips I just clipped that wire so it looks like the old one out of my 2008 Road Glide. Thanks for all the info guys. If this works I will be very happy.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM
NO4NMTL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by notrailers
The heat shrink on is for the optional heated grip option. If you are going with aftermarket bars and routing your control wires through the handlebars you may want to think about deleting the green plug and hard wiring the 6 wires that control the TBW for two reasons:
1) make more room
2) eliminate a point of failure in the TBW wiring harness.
Just my 2 cents
damn if only i would have read this before racking my skull for 2 hours trying to find someplace to plug that little 2 wire connector into SOB i can finish the APES !

Thank you!!