Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 3 or 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 PM
On Time
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander 3 or 5

Power Commander.com states for an 08 Road glide i shuold use the Power Commander 3.However,fuel moto states go with the Power Commander 5.Therefore, 3 or 5?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

5. It has more features and Fuel Moto probably knows more about Power Commanders than dynojet themselves. Plus you can add a LCD screen and Autotune to the 5.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Desert Dog
Stage II

+1 With the PC V

I am running the PC V on my 06 Ultra and love it. Fuel Moto set me up with the map I needed and the install was a breeze.

You can trust Fuel Moto. Outstanding service and support as many on here will back up.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

I'd got V by a far margine.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

the reason Dynajet said the 3 is because the 5 plug won't fit the 08. Fuel Moto puts a new plug on the 5 and sells it at the same price as the the ones for the 09 up which it designed for the PCV I have the PCV on my bike 2010 FLHTK and friend has one for 2008 Ultra Classic and it works same as mine. Get it from FuelMoto and save money also and get a map already installed. It takes 10 minutes to install and you are good to go.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG! Get the PCV! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Dooooo it!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
the reason Dynajet said the 3 is because the 5 plug won't fit the 08. Fuel Moto puts a new plug on the 5 and sells it at the same price as the the ones for the 09 up which it designed for the PCV I have the PCV on my bike 2010 FLHTK and friend has one for 2008 Ultra Classic and it works same as mine. Get it from FuelMoto and save money also and get a map already installed. It takes 10 minutes to install and you are good to go.
Actually FuelMoto doesn't change the plug. The plugs are the same for the 08 and 09s but FuelMoto did create maps to support the 08s whereas DJ did not. I had the PCV on my 2008 and it worked great. Since then I have gone with the Power Vision which is also a great tuner. The PV gives you more control over the settings in the entire map. Definitely go with the PCV over the PCIII and if you want even more flexibility, I recommend the Power Vision. Both the PCV and the PV have the ability to use DynoJet's autotune modules.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got the PC-V with AT on my 08 FLHX. Works just fine and I can get support from Fuel Moto for different maps etc.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Trust Fuel Moto, they will give you the tech support that you need and double the warranty.

The advantages of the PC V over the III are auto tune capability, smaller size and I believe it has more parameters that it can work with, Id definatly go with the PC V if your going to use a piggy back tuner.

IMO the best bet out there for ease of use and most extensive tunability is the Power Vision. I just started to use one last week and its great, bike runs better than it did with the PC V and I dont have anything under the seat.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Actually FuelMoto doesn't change the plug. The plugs are the same for the 08 and 09s but FuelMoto did create maps to support the 08s whereas DJ did not.
Correct, and FWIW the PCV can also be retrofitted to '02-'07 non-TBW bikes. These use an '09 Softail kit, which all use the same connector.

I had the PCV on my 2008 and it worked great. Since then I have gone with the Power Vision which is also a great tuner. The PV gives you more control over the settings in the entire map. Definitely go with the PCV over the PCIII and if you want even more flexibility, I recommend the Power Vision. Both the PCV and the PV have the ability to use DynoJet's autotune modules.
I also moved from the PCV-AT to PV and am happy with the change, but as a flash-based tuner that works directly with the ECM the PV is a more complex solution for those who like to play on the wild side. For most the PCV is a better solution, IMO, simply because it is plug-and-play and installs and works well with little fuss. It also can work with the Auto-Tune kit that provides true auto-tuning of AFRs on-the-fly across the entire operational spectrum, which the PV cannot do. In functional terms you can get to about the same tuning plateau with PV as with the PCV-AT, along with many more things you can adjust directly at the ECM level, but there's more involved along the road to that goal.

Anyway, I had a PCIII for about two years until the PCV came out, and didn't hestiate to buy the new model. It was a good move for me to change, but if I was starting from scratch and had a choice I would definitely pick the PCV, as unless you want a plug-and-play device and have no plans to do more advanced tweaking or add Auto-Tune it is worth the ~$30 (or whatever) extra. OTOH if you want to just plug it in and go with no aspirations of doing any further tweaking, the Fuel Moto tuner (PCIII without exterior buttons) is the best bang-for-the-buck option, IMO.

Quick Reply: Power Commander 3 or 5