Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a RK Classic...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a RK Classic...

I recently went to an HD dealer to sit on some bikes...well or try to as I just had knee surgery and couldn't get my leg around most of the bikes.

I went with a family friend who has been riding since he was 18 so he has over 35 years on an HD. He said that every style of bike will fit the different (obviously).

So I sat on: A Dyna Wide Glide, Softtail classic, Fatboy, and a Road King.

I didn't like the way my arms were while holding onto the bars of the showroom Softtails but found a good fit in the Dyna and RK. (I'm extremely picky, as I should be since I have to ride it)

He also recommended that since I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 235) that I need a bigger bike and that I look "out of place" on the smaller Dyna and that having a bike that fits you is extremely important for not only looks but comfort and safety.

This will be my first street bike. I've had many dirt bikes but can finally afford a "real" bike.

However, as much as I LOVED the RK and how I felt on it and how it'd fit my planned riding needs, could it be a little too much for a rookie rider?

Any advice, ideas, help on the RK would be much appreciated.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm 6'3" and 240. I went from a Fatboy to a RKC. The Road King handles better than the Fatboy. I think it's a much easier bike to ride.
Riding Needs? The Road King is the most versatile bike in Harley's lineup.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, the Road King would be a great first street bike. It's very easy to handle and versatile. It rides like a dream. I love my '11 Road King Classic. I had Electra Glides previously and I think this bike rides better.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you ask, I have never understood anybody running out and buying a Harley of any kind for their first bike less it be a cheap used sportster. The reason why is that a Harley cost a lot of money and depreciates alot really fast. If it is your first street bike you will drop it a time or two in the beginning and possibly do thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Secondly, riding a street bike is not for everybody. Craigslist , e-bay etc. are full of low miles used bikes that people run out and bought and discovered that a bike on the street is just not there thing. They have a close call right away, are not comfortable without the security of a cage or it could be something as simple as a loved one did not voice their opinion until it was to late. Things are whole lot different on the mean streets than dirt bike riding. The fact that both are done on motorcycles is where the similarities end.

Get your self a used Metric and ride the crap out of it, drop it, wrench on it, practice, practice, practice on it. Then get the Road King or the whatever. 9 out of 10 times you can ride the metric for a year and get 100 percent of your money back and use that money to get your dream bike. You will also appreciate your new Harley more if you go this route rather than have never had anything else.

Just my .02 cents so take it for being worth that . Good luck to you with whatever you decide and Ride Safe.

Last edited by Just Dave; 08-29-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Since you ask, I have never understood anybody running out and buying a Harley of any kind for their first bike less it be a cheap used sportster. The reason why is that a Harley cost a lot of money and depreciates alot really fast. If it is your first street bike you will drop it a time or two in the beginning and possibly do thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Secondly, riding a street bike is not for everybody. Craigslist , e-bay etc. are full of low miles used bikes that people run out and bought and discovered that a bike on the street is just not there thing. They have a close call right away, are not comfortable without the security of a cage or it could be something as simple as a loved one did not voice their opinion until it was to late. Things are whole lot different on the mean streets than dirt bike riding. The fact that both are done on motorcycles is where the similarities end.

Get your self a used Metric and ride the crap out of it, drop it, wrench on it, practice, practice, practice on it. Then get the Road King or the whatever. 9 out of 10 times you can ride the metric for a year and get 100 percent of your money back and use that money to get your dream bike. You will also appreciate your new Harley more if you go this route rather than have never had anything else.

Just my .02 cents so take it for being worth that . Good luck to you with whatever you decide and Ride Safe.
I guess I've been on two-wheels since I was 10 and loved every minute of it. Don't think I'll lose the passion for it anytime soon especially since I can't dirt bike due to the knee anymore.

Fantastic advice, though. That's EXACTLY why I come here! Gives me a lot to think about especially with all of the texters out there on the roads now-a-days and people just plain not paying attention to the road let alone a bike.

Hopefully the fact that I'd be riding with a group of highly experienced riders helps a bit with my "confidence" in getting on a bike.

Originally Posted by FDHOG
I'm 6'3" and 240. I went from a Fatboy to a RKC. The Road King handles better than the Fatboy. I think it's a much easier bike to ride.
Riding Needs? The Road King is the most versatile bike in Harley's lineup.
I should ask then, do those side saddle bags come off on the RK's? I'm not a big fan of the stock "bags" on the Road King (Hence is why I'm going with the classic for the leather wrapped bags). I guess I either didn't look or don't remember if I looked (looked at a lot of saddle bags) at the RK or not to see if they come off. I'd bet the windshield pops fairly easy.

I plan on doing mostly casual weekend riding but the guys I'll be riding with head to Sturgis and Niagra Falls every year so I'd need the windshield and bags for sure.

Originally Posted by hdelectra
In my opinion, the Road King would be a great first street bike. It's very easy to handle and versatile. It rides like a dream. I love my '11 Road King Classic. I had Electra Glides previously and I think this bike rides better.
That's good to hear. I've honestly never talked to anyone who had one but based off of two reviews so far, I like the way it sounds.

Doesn't feel too heavy or anything?

Last edited by DC4MVP; 08-29-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If you are going to buy a new HD,a RK is a great choice. I don't think there is one person on this forum that doesn't like a RK.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM
RayBoy
Cruiser

Had three fat boys before my RKC. Road King is a far superior ride to me. I'm 6'2" and 220, and yeah, it's a bigger bike, but as someone already said, it handles very well and is quite versatile. Yes, the bags use quick connections and come off easily (w/out tools). Yes, windshield, too. Good luck with whatever you commit to. Long live the King! ;-)

Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Before you make your decision, why don't you take the Basic Motorcycle Foundation Course or Rider's Edge training? Then after you've got that under your belt, go rent the bikes you're interested in at the local HD dealer where you're looking at bikes... See if they'll cut you a deal and explain you're looking to buy, but want to feel comfortable with your choice of bikes. I don't see how you could go wrong and at least you'll me able to make an intelligent decision about a Harley AND riding on the asphalt vs. dirt.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the bike you want. I rode a honda shadow 750 for about 3 weeks for my first bike, then got a RKC. i am 5'11'' and 160lbs. Ride it bone stock as far as fitment goes, though i am thinking now 2yrs later about switching the handle bars.

if you have any doubt, rent a bike for a week or a few days, then you will be in a better position to decide if you like it.

worst thing you can do is buy a "starter bike." you'll lose a ton of money on it and hate it within a week of getting it.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

Originally Posted by dnitram
Before you make your decision, why don't you take the Basic Motorcycle Foundation Course or Rider's Edge training? Then after you've got that under your belt, go rent the bikes you're interested in at the local HD dealer where you're looking at bikes... See if they'll cut you a deal and explain you're looking to buy, but want to feel comfortable with your choice of bikes. I don't see how you could go wrong and at least you'll me able to make an intelligent decision about a Harley AND riding on the asphalt vs. dirt.
I actually did take the riding course a couple years ago here in St. Paul, MN. It was a 3 day course. 1 class room day and two on the bikes.

Also, the guy I went with bought his two bikes from St. Paul Harley here and he said if you play two dealers against each other, they may cover Tax, title, and license.

I guess most dealers don't vary too much in price but one dealer may willing to do more as far as covering spare costs or throwing in a few accessories or something. It's nice, I have 5 HD dealers within 50 miles of my house. Can do a lot of shopping and playing dealers against each other.

Originally Posted by ehans
Get the bike you want. I rode a honda shadow 750 for about 3 weeks for my first bike, then got a RKC. i am 5'11'' and 160lbs. Ride it bone stock as far as fitment goes, though i am thinking now 2yrs later about switching the handle bars.

if you have any doubt, rent a bike for a week or a few days, then you will be in a better position to decide if you like it.

worst thing you can do is buy a "starter bike." you'll lose a ton of money on it and hate it within a week of getting it.
Do the RKC's handle better, worse, or the same without the saddle bags? I'm not familiar enough to know if saddle bags make a ride different.

My mother (don't laugh) wanted me to buy a family friends small Suzuki as a bike for a few grand but everyone has told me to get a good bike and it's worth getting a Harley since they hold their value pretty well in terms of resale.

If I'm buying one, I want it to be my bike for a long while. I don't want to waste the money on a bike I'll ride for even a year then move along.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a RK Classic...