Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to find neutral after SE Comp install

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:49 PM
hover
|
Road Captain
Default Hard to find neutral after SE Comp install

Ever since I changed to the SE Compensator, I have a hard time finding neutral, even when still rolling. Most of the time I just shut the bike off in gear then put it in neutral. Does anybody know some of the common causes of this? I put the correct amount Formula+ in the Primary.

Old 08-29-2011 | 08:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

primary chain tension and/or clutch adjustment.

Mike

Old 08-29-2011 | 08:25 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hover
Ever since I changed to the SE Compensator, I have a hard time finding neutral, even when still rolling. Most of the time I just shut the bike off in gear then put it in neutral. Does anybody know some of the common causes of this? I put the correct amount Formula+ in the Primary.
Actually I found just the opposite- easier to find neutral, especially from second gear, which was extremely difficult before the install.

I agree with mkguitar re the clutch adjustment-- you did adjust the clutch after the install didn't you? If not that may be why.

Old 08-29-2011 | 08:50 PM
RayBoy
Cruiser

They're right about the clutch adjustment. I just put the SE Comp in my RKC a couple weeks ago. I didn't adjust the clutch after I buttoned it back up. Could still find neutral, but it wasn't nearly as effortless as it was before I put the new comp kit in. Did a clutch adjustment and it's back to where it was...easy fix. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2011 | 09:14 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

@ hover
Mine was much easier to find neutral after the SE Compensator install, in fact I considered difficultly in finding neutral a symptom of the stock compensator failing.

@ V2Evo96
I was under the impression that neutral was accessed from first not second. No?

Old 08-29-2011 | 09:26 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Gotta adjust the clutch after comp instal, found that mobil 1 gear oil in the trans and mobil 1 V in the primary helps quite a bit, but clutch adjustment is probably culprit here.

Old 08-30-2011 | 04:38 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior

An easy test to find out if your clutch needs adjusted. Start your bike on a flat surface in first gear with the clutch pulled in, if the bike seems to pull when starting, adjust clutch until no forward pull is felt on the above test. The clutch plates must be adjusted to have full disingagement. Perform a full throttle test in the first 4 gears after adjustment to make sure you have no clutch slippage.

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:26 AM
hover
|
Road Captain

The clutch was readjusted at the time of the install. I will readjust again to see if it helps. Thanks for all responses.

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:04 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
@ hover
Mine was much easier to find neutral after the SE Compensator install, in fact I considered difficultly in finding neutral a symptom of the stock compensator failing.

@ V2Evo96
I was under the impression that neutral was accessed from first not second. No?
Since the introduction of the Twin Cam motor, neutral is meant to be accessible from 2nd gear to neutral as well as from 1st gear; however in reality it works well on some and not so good on others.

By example I was never able to find neutral easily from 2nd on the 09 Glide until I installed the SE comp and the 103" clutch diaphragm spring.
Now it's just a snick away from 2nd down-- and no different method of clutch adjustment that what I had always done.

Old 08-30-2011 | 08:15 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

I did not know that but it answers why once in a while I would catch neutral from 2nd by accident. I'll have to try it on purpose.

Quick Reply: Hard to find neutral after SE Comp install