Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to find neutral after SE Comp install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 10:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato
I did not know that but it answers why once in a while I would catch neutral from 2nd by accident. I'll have to try it on purpose.
This is news to me too and I'll need to test this out tomorrow.

Old 08-31-2011 | 12:34 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

I distinctly recall reading that some years ago when the twinkie came out (regarding getting to neutral from both directions).

It takes a bit of getting used to if you always go to N from 1st. That comp and spring change just made it very EZ to do on mine.

Old 08-31-2011 | 06:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
I distinctly recall reading that some years ago when the twinkie came out (regarding getting to neutral from both directions).

It takes a bit of getting used to if you always go to N from 1st. That comp and spring change just made it very EZ to do on mine.
Well, I can now report that my '07 won't go into neutral from 2nd, period. Not when stationary or any other time, it just goes past neutral while the neutral light flickers briefly as it passes to 1st gear.

Old 08-31-2011 | 08:19 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

iclick, I can hold my hand over my heart and say I didn't "just make that statement up" (and I'm not inferring at all that you think I am ).

It was a number of years ago when I read that, but I haven't reached senility as yet LoL.

Anyone else able to find neutral easily from second gear? Mine goes into N from 2 with a slight snick, but not as well defined as from 1st to N-- still very easy though.

Old 08-31-2011 | 08:33 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

This bike is my first Harley and I didn't know to only shift up from 1st to find neutral. Since it was new, if I go up from 1st and it jumps through neutral and into 2nd, I'll gently tap it down to neutral. It's real tricky and requires only a very slight tap downwards. Sometimes it jumps through neutral and into 1st. I keep going back and forth till it slips into neutral or the traffic light turns green. I probably need to adjust my clutch. After the SE Comp install neutral was a breeze to find. Later on the primary chain was replaced and neutral is sometimes very hard to find again, like when it was new.

Old 08-31-2011 | 09:24 PM
hover
|
Road Captain

Update: Re adjusted the clutch and its much better. And it goes into neutral from 2nd also.

Old 09-01-2011 | 12:19 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smithbrl
This bike is my first Harley and I didn't know to only shift up from 1st to find neutral. Since it was new, if I go up from 1st and it jumps through neutral and into 2nd, I'll gently tap it down to neutral. It's real tricky and requires only a very slight tap downwards. Sometimes it jumps through neutral and into 1st. I keep going back and forth till it slips into neutral or the traffic light turns green. I probably need to adjust my clutch. After the SE Comp install neutral was a breeze to find. Later on the primary chain was replaced and neutral is sometimes very hard to find again, like when it was new.
By way of a bit of background, all of the Evolution series could normally only be shifted to N from 1st gear. I remember thinking that it was a definite improvement when the MoCo changed the tranny configuration to allow N fron 2nd...

Regarding your comment about sometimes missing N from 1st, if your chain was replaced recently it once it beds in a bit it could improve, but I reckon a clutch adjustment will help.
I would make sure the Primary case fill level is correct as well-- as it can make a difference to the way the clutch engagement/drag feels. JMO

Old 09-01-2011 | 03:11 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master

Actually I found just the opposite- easier to find neutral, especially from second gear, which was extremely difficult before the install.

I agree with mkguitar re the clutch adjustment-- you did adjust the clutch after the install didn't you? If not that may be why.

I also agree with ther above.

Old 09-01-2011 | 03:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

iclick, I can hold my hand over my heart and say I didn't "just make that statement up" (and I'm not inferring at all that you think I am ).
It was a number of years ago when I read that, but I haven't reached senility as yet LoL.
No, I wasn't besmirching your word at all and my trials yesterday were only to satisfy my curiosity, as I hadn't tried it before. In fact, the more I think about it I do recall seeing or hearing some mention about it somewhere, too. However, yesterday mine wouldn't do it regardless of the method or conditions, and the manual only describes going into neutral one way, which is from 1st. Anyway, I'll keep trying, but I do see the neutral light flicker when I move down from 2nd into 1st.

Old 09-01-2011 | 04:50 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by iclick
No, I wasn't besmirching your word at all and my trials yesterday were only to satisfy my curiosity, as I hadn't tried it before. In fact, the more I think about it I do recall seeing or hearing some mention about it somewhere, too. However, yesterday mine wouldn't do it regardless of the method or conditions, and the manual only describes going into neutral one way, which is from 1st. Anyway, I'll keep trying, but I do see the neutral light flicker when I move down from 2nd into 1st.
Oh no worries iclick-- I didn't take it the wrong way which is why I put in a "big grin". I just thought everyone's twinkie would do this....
Tonight I will check my 'owners booklet' that came with the 09 and see what it says to try to boost my recall on this.

I rode with a Canadian mate in Singapore while living/working there from 1999 through 2006. He rode a 1999 RoadGlide twinkie that would shift to N from both directions easily. I had my Evo there and always lamented that I had to go to 1st before N (not that it was a big deal).

Quick Reply: Hard to find neutral after SE Comp install