Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Srowe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP

Howdy,

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, cost or part number info to add ABS to the from/rear of my 09 FLHTP on it's way to becoming an FLHTCU (3/4 way there already).

i am considering adding the ABS to my bike and wanted to see the info out there that this forum has been so helpful to me so far.

I have only been a member here for about 6 months but the info here has been outstanding. bearing in mind not everyone has positive things to say the responses and replies I have read about so many topics make this an awesome forum.

Thanks

Scott

Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

from everything I have read and learned,

Can NOT be done

Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I see you have several posts and you say you have been on the forum for some time... Have you tried the search button??? I just went there and did an advanced search.... typed "adding abs" / "title only" and got 6 post back with over 100 total responses..... do that and your question should be well ansewered

Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Use the "search" function above for lots of discussion on this topic. Aparrently it's not impossible but extremely impractical and costly. No dealer would consider doing it and, unless you're a really gifted mechanic, neither should you. Of course, if you were a really gifted mechanic you probably wouldn't be asking that question in an on-line forum.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Srowe
Tourer

Well, thnks for all the friendly advice and comments.

I think i will try the search function.

I thought this was a discussion forum. If my post was a distraction I appologize, just thought i would inquire. I did not intend to disrupt the forum with a question already posted.

Scott

Old 08-29-2011, 01:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Not impossible, but very costly and impractical.

I though a FLHTP wasa cop bike and would have abs, no?

Mike

Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Srowe
Tourer

Thanks for the advice. But the majority of the info in those post do no answer the question on if anyone has done the upgrade.

It appears as though it is a matter of changing the non ABS componets out with ABS componets and having the dealer turn on the ABS in the ECM. The cost many have identified as quoted certainly accounts for many hours of labor. I had a radio quoted for installation and it came out to over 2800 bucks and I decided to perform that upgrade myself with a used HD Harmon Kardon stereo and total cost including the cables and harness upgrades came to about 800 bucks. So quotes from the dealer may be slightly high due to the hih cost of labor and the hours they will quote on something like this.

So I guess I will wait for someone who may actually have inquired about the topic or attempeted it themself. The 09 has the capability of the ABS but it was not installed on my bike with the factory ABS. Many of the 09 FLHTP bikes have that option installed so it sounds very possible and I would guess I can get the parts and install them myself. Will wait for someone who knows firsthand.

Most of the referenced post you refer to are not about the parts or the installation but more about the likes and dislikes and very little on the actual installation.

I appreciate the info though I will let you all know if and when I complete the transformation to a ABS braking solution.

And just my 2 cents here many excellent and experienced technicians can and do seek advice & input fro m others and research ideas prior to putting a wrench on the subject especially since it is not just a remove and replace part. Just because someone asks a question is no reason to ASSUME (ASSUME we all know what that means correct) something about that person such as lack of knowledge.

Thank you all in advance for the info and if anyone has any quotes from a dealer to install I would be very happy if you could share their cost and parts list.

Scott

Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Srowe
Tourer

Not all the cop bikes had it installed, it was installed based upon the cost the city was willing to spend, I guess the city where mine came from was cost aware.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, I think your post is perfectly appropriate in our forum.

At the risk of hijacking your thread, my advice is to do your best to ignore the "Search *****" and continue to participate freely.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Srowe
Tourer

I am just trying to be polite and be nice.

I will continue my search, I never just take no for an answer. Always do my due dilligance and research. i find what may be too tough for one is just a challange to others.

If we all quit when someone told us no or to quit asking i guess we would all be depoendant upon someone else.

thanks for the support.

Quick Reply: Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP