Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you attempt this, make sure you find a dealer that will enable it in the ECM before you spend all that money. Finding one might be the toughest part of the project

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I think this falls under the "nothing is impossible, but damn near and not worth the money" category.

You might be able to pull it off, but you'd be facing one hell of an uphill battle. In the end I bet it would be cheaper to change bikes.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

According to HD - ABS is a "factory" installed option and must be completed during assembly. They won't sell parts directly to install...also, like others indicate, would be hefty price tag. If you're set on ABS - might be time to look for another scoot w/this option...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Srowe
Howdy,

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, cost or part number info to add ABS to the from/rear of my 09 FLHTP on it's way to becoming an FLHTCU (3/4 way there already).

i am considering adding the ABS to my bike and wanted to see the info out there that this forum has been so helpful to me so far.

I have only been a member here for about 6 months but the info here has been outstanding. bearing in mind not everyone has positive things to say the responses and replies I have read about so many topics make this an awesome forum.

Thanks

Scott
Not to sound flip or anything but the best way to add ABS is to take your bike in and trade it for a bike with ABS. It'll likely cost less.

The only other way reasonable way would be to buy a beyond repair totalled bike and "salvage" the necessary components.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to check with a used Harley parts guy such as: http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/main.php

Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

HD / shops won't do it due to a legal liability with the brake system, just like cars.
We have put ABS on road race cars from a loaner wreck car and works great.
The system is stand alone, but cars have free areas to install.
I sold my '94 for this exact reason, just not feasible!

Last edited by Holster Maker; 08-30-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in 08 i went to mil. for the H.D. 105 celebration...they had a demo set up showing the new ABS system along with the engineering team that designed it. the question was asked to them about adding ABS .they said the parts would not be available for that and no way would dealers have the authority to add it because of liability issues ... i dont know if that means programming cant be added or what.......as far as the search button goes they might as well shut the forum down if everyone cant ask questions anymore, because pretty much everything i see here has been covered before.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

If you could point me to this link you idenfied/referenced below I would be greatly appreciated. I serached and did not se anything that i thought was what I was looking for but may have eaisly missed something.

Your exact question was addressed extensively just a few days ago.

thanks,

Scott
May not be the exact links, but here are several threads dealing with this same question.
Looks like the general consensus is it can't be done, or at least not feasible.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...o-2010-rg.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...a-2008-eg.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...dding-abs.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...abs-on-sg.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...009-ultra.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...reetglide.html

Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Srowe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it looks like I have the answer,

ABS can be added to any bike which is factory capable such as my FLHTP which was purchased without the ABS option and the dealer can flash the ECM and the cost for the parts are really not all that expensive.

not sure if I plan to perform the upgrade yet but here is the info I have found relating to the ABS modification.

I did find the discussions veryinterresting as to the pros and cons and the dealers info where they would not perform the upgrade or flash the ECM. In the area where L ivive 1 is willing and 3 don't have a clue so I can see where someone would say that the dealer can't or won't perform the modification.

Just to give a quick overview of the items and the approx. cost.

75.00 Front brake lines
75.00 Rear brake lines
275.00 Hydrauclic module
375.00 Control block
60.00 front bearings
75.00 rear bearings
350.00 misc harness for front and rear (not researched yet)
125.00 misc fastners and such
50.00 1/2 hour time to flash the ECM

looks like parts are ballpark of $1500 asuming they are are all bought new and not a take off from a wrecked bike or just some ABS nay sayer.

Thanks for al the info I greatley appreciated the discussions.

Scott

Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Well, it looks like I have the answer,

ABS can be added to any bike which is factory capable such as my FLHTP which was purchased without the ABS option and the dealer can flash the ECM and the cost for the parts are really not all that expensive.

not sure if I plan to perform the upgrade yet but here is the info I have found relating to the ABS modification.

I did find the discussions veryinterresting as to the pros and cons and the dealers info where they would not perform the upgrade or flash the ECM. In the area where L ivive 1 is willing and 3 don't have a clue so I can see where someone would say that the dealer can't or won't perform the modification.

Just to give a quick overview of the items and the approx. cost.

75.00 Front brake lines
75.00 Rear brake lines
275.00 Hydrauclic module
375.00 Control block
60.00 front bearings
75.00 rear bearings
350.00 misc harness for front and rear (not researched yet)
125.00 misc fastners and such
50.00 1/2 hour time to flash the ECM

looks like parts are ballpark of $1500 asuming they are are all bought new and not a take off from a wrecked bike or just some ABS nay sayer.

Thanks for al the info I greatley appreciated the discussions.

Scott
That's what I thought, 895 option and if a guy pays for labor to retrofit it will be at least double and maybe triple the factory installed price.

Quick Reply: Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP