Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Srowe
I think that everyone who directed you toward the search function also gave you an answer. Politely, I might add.
The search function is a very valuable asset to this forum and might have given you many specific answers instantly.
Your exact question was addressed extensively just a few days ago.
I've seen plenty of obnoxious answers and a few people, including myself, who can't resist a silly answer every now and then.
I don't think anyone in this thread was being obnoxious.
I always try the search function when I have a question because sometimes I find tremendous amounts of info before I ask a direct question.
People enjoy answering questions on this forum and are always eager to help.
Sometimes a new person asks a question just a day after that subject was worn out over the course of a week. Just saying... I didn't see any responses here as being obnoxious. Welcome to the forum. One of the best resources you'll ever use.
BTW I think there was someone who posted that they found dealers who woulsn't consider it and parts lists that cost so much that it was beyond unreasonable to consider it. Good luck in your quest. I'd be curious to hear if you discover otherwise.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Srowe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

If you could point me to this link you idenfied/referenced below I would be greatly appreciated. I serached and did not se anything that i thought was what I was looking for but may have eaisly missed something.

Your exact question was addressed extensively just a few days ago.

thanks,

Scott

Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,022 Likes on 22,557 Posts

I thought about the same thing and called my local and they said it would be nigh impossible. I'm sure if it could be done, some one on this forum would have done it by now, I would think. However in my 4 years on this forum, I've yet to hear it done, which doesn't mean it's impossible, just probably not likely. It is a good thought though..

Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

What about getting a parts manual for that year bike? It should have all the parts necessary listed to replace all the brake parts for both non-ABS and ABS systems, you could try and decipher what you have vs what you need and get the prices of those parts from the discounting parts dealers, if they still exist.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM
gred-04
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I thought about the same thing and called my local and they said it would be nigh impossible. I'm sure if it could be done, some one on this forum would have done it by now, I would think. However in my 4 years on this forum, I've yet to hear it done, which doesn't mean it's impossible, just probably not likely. It is a good thought though..
I have wondered the same thing and my dealer gave me the same song - no can do.

My thinking was if it could be done for 1k might be worth it. However,
there are alot of very knowledgeable/creative people here and if it
hasn't been done or really attempted I think that speaks for itself.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Craig E
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership where I bought my 2010 Road King said that it couldn't be done. I think that if there were any possibility that it could be done, they surely would have welcomed my money.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Of course it can be done, whether it should be done due to the possibility of exorbitant costs is the question. I wouldn't consider doing it but I guarantee it can be done, maybe not by an insurance hand cuffed dealer but by an owner/fabricator, absolutely!!!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can't be done. Would require a lot of extra wiring, brake line plumbing, etc.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Of course it can be done
exactly. Anything that bolts on at the factory can be bolted on in your garage.

Biggest question is the ECM. I don't know whether or not the dealer can "turn on" the ABS function in an non-ABS bike, or whether you'd need an ECM from a bike originally equipped with the ABS. That question is going to be difficult to find an answer to, since the moco is pretty tight lipped about things like this.

You need to find a mechanic who is working at a HD dealership and has access to the Digital technician to answer that.

You might need to look for a ECM from a wrecked bike, in addition to all the brake componants.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In addition, from what I have read here, dealers are not suppose to sell ABS parts for a non-ABS bike.

Quick Reply: Adding ABS to 09 FLHTP