Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with my '07 SG. Big Sucker II, Mackie 510 cams, Rinehart True Duals, and a T-Max. Mine was in the 2200-3000 RPM range. I only noticed it in the higher gears (4th-6th). Had it on the dyno 3 times and we made progess by adjusting timing in 1° increments. We had narrowed the RPM range where it occurred down to the 27-2800 to 3000 range. I believe with one more dyno session we would have had the problem eliminated. Then I hit a deer and the bike has been out of commission for 18 months or so. I made a custom bagger out of it and put on a set of Freedom Sharp Curve Radius pipes. Now they are too damn loud to tell if it is still pinging or not. I have other tuning issues to solve with the pipe change too (0131 and 0151 codes) so I will be putting on the dyno soon. Will let you know if we get or have the detonation issue solved.

To those who are all advocating not rolling on the throttle in that RPM range, that is the range where most all of your riding is done. Why dump a boatload of money on performance upgrades to gain HP and torque throughout the entire RPM range only to have to downshift to stay away from a correctable tuning problem? That is why I made the changes in the first place.............. so I wouldn't have to grab a damn gear everytime I wanted to pass someone or encountered a hill while cruising down the interstate.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 08-30-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:14 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
To those who are all advocating not rolling on the throttle in that RPM range, that is the range where most all of your riding is done. Why dump a boatload of money on performance upgrades to gain HP and torque throughout the entire RPM range only to have to downshift to stay away from a correctable tuning problem? That is why I made the changes in the first place.............. so I wouldn't have to grab a damn gear everytime I wanted to pass someone or encountered a hill while cruising down the interstate.
I don't believe anyone has suggested not rolling on the throttle in the 2700-3000 rpm range. I believe the consensus is that if the cams and tune are right and the motor is spinning around 2500 rpms, whacking the throttle is not harmful. However, if the tune is off or the cams are wrong, downshifting to avoid any pinging is in order. Certainly a correctable problem but maybe not the tune??

Ping can be tuned out of most motors; however, when you start retarding timing, performance is usually degraded; depends on the cams and the tune. If you had been able to continue tuning your bike before the deer accident and backed out enough timing to eliminate the ping, it is likely that performance would have been degraded. Can't be sure about that, but that is what happens much of the time. If the tune is off, performance should not be affected when timing is backed out; however, if the cams are the reason, the motor might not be as responsive with timing backed out. Then it's time for a cam change or maybe a 4* gear.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally don't like getting caught up in banter, but the OP was rude to a respondant and I called him on it which then resulted in personal attacks on me. I reached out to him via PM, and surprise surprise got no response. Guess we know now the type of person he is.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser

Bleachey, I am still trying to figure out why you are even involved in this. You have absolutely nothing to offer on the problem I was trying resolve, yet you butt your nose where it doesnt belong. You Sir are Bold face liar and I would call you a few other choice words if I was ever able to get face to face with you. I never, I repeat, NEVER received a PM from you on this or any other subject. Its people like you that ruin these forums, you sit there in the anonymity of your single wide trailer and run your mouth because you know there are no consequences to your actions. The good people on this forum who understood the issue weighed in and gave productive, intelligent options as to how to resolve the issue and I thank you all. This is my last post on this issue, the problem has been solved exactly as you guys advised, I backed off the timing 1 deg at a time and the bike runs great and the detonation is gone. Thanks again.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 991 Posts

I've run the T-Max on two bikes, an '04 RG and an '09 RG. Both were built a little more than yours. The '09 I still have, it is a 107, .590 lift cam, ported heads, 10.6:1 comp., D&D boss, SE A/C. I found that the maps provided by T-Max really didn't fit my application. I too had detonation from probably around 2500-4200. I just started pulling timing out, but I actually went into the timing vs. tp maps to do it so because it wasn't at full throttle where I was experiencing the ping. I did manage to get rid of a lot of it and the bike seemed to run better as I dropped the timing. I'm running an EMS now with much better results.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Glider, glad you got it fixed with no loss of performance; good news.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Hell I would just sell it and get a new StreetGlide! LOL!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Bleachey
Tourer

Yes I did send you a PM, and pointed out that I would be happy to meet with you face to face, just give me the address. You are right that I don't have anything to offer on fixing your bike issue, but I definitely can help teach you a lesson about your attitude problem. Feel free to contact me.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I thought there was an anti-ping function to the ignition and that's why we should be careful to replace the plugs with the correct resistor? Currently I can put my bike under an rpm load (not shifting down enough gears for the speed etc) and it doesn't ping?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
sounds like a job for lemon pledge to me. I thought that was the cure for all that ails a harley?
roflmao

Quick Reply: Detonation