Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable

Originally Posted by Bleachey
Wow, are we a little testy? If you post on a forum for advice don't be an a$$ and criticize the advice you get. If you don't like the advice ignore it, but don't start being rude to people who are only trying to help.
This is the exact reason why I was hesitant to ask the question initially. I am not testy at all, what I am is tired of reading where people ask a specific question and then someone answers a completely different issue. Then a clown like yourself weighs into the issue. People like you are great on the internet where you can remain anonymous and run their mouth. If you read the initial thread, read the reponse and my reply it should make sense even to a moron like yourself. I asked for help with the Thundermax timing issue, not how to shift a Harley.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow, are we a little testy? If you post on a forum for advice don't be an a$$ and criticize the advice you get. If you don't like the advice ignore it, but don't start being rude to people who are only trying to help.

Originally Posted by Daytona Glider
This is the exact reason why I was hesitant to ask the question initially. I am not testy at all, what I am is tired of reading where people ask a specific question and then someone answers a completely different issue. Then a clown like yourself weighs into the issue. People like you are great on the internet where you can remain anonymous and run their mouth. If you read the initial thread, read the reponse and my reply it should make sense even to a moron like yourself. I asked for help with the Thundermax timing issue, not how to shift a Harley.

I am sure are several members that agree with what Bleachey said.
You asked for help, and a member gave some advice.
With your attitude, I am sure you'll have no trouble finding help next time you need it.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong

Originally Posted by RollaMo

I am sure are several members that agree with what Bleachey said.
You asked for help, and a member gave some advice.
With your attitude, I am sure you'll have no trouble finding help next time you need it.
You're mistaken, I will get responses from members who can read, understand and answer the question that was asked. Not people who just want to reply to get their post number higher, the equivelent of running their mouth just to hear their own voice. Oh pretty much you.....

Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then the fight started

Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the OP was refering to me in his response, and I did not take any offense to anything he said. I think he is frustrated dealing with the pinging and is looking for a tuning solution, that may work for him, but I was just suggesting that - if you are accelerating through the gears and start hearing pinging at 2000 RPM - maybe he shouldn't be accelerating starting at or below 2000 RPMs. I can't even cruise below 2000 RPM's without pinging, I would never try accelerating until I was above 2500. I threw it out there. He can ignore it and I take no offense. I wish him luck resolving the problem he percieves, and if he finds a tuning method that allows for accelerating at 2000 RPM without pinging - I hope he posts the solution for everyone to benefit from. I see no need to jump all over the guy though. Offer advice if ya got any. He can take it or leave it. Moving on to other threads now.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

If you can give advice then the advice can be criticized.
It goes both ways dont post advice if you dont want a response back.

What a load of crap the shifting advice was............... Oh I got 3 bikes that ping and I have learned how to shift around it. Then the rest are like sheep jump on OP for calling BS,

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
If you can give advice then the advice can be criticized.
It goes both ways dont post advice if you dont want a response back.

What a load of crap the shifting advice was............... Oh I got 3 bikes that ping and I have learned how to shift around it. Then the rest are like sheep jump on OP for calling BS,
You crack me up. Does your bike not ping at 2000 when under load? Harleys ain't designed to be put under load at those RPM's. They ping if you do - especially if you are using regular gasoline. Has anybody asked the OP what octane fuel he is using??? Higher octain can reduce pinging significantly due to the slower burning rate. Even with higher octane gas though, accelerating at 2000 RPM will most likely result in a ping. BUT - once again, I did not take offense to the OP's comments. I AM enjoying all the silly banter from the rest of you though.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it winter already? To the OP, try to back the timing down a bit. Where did ya find to dyno it for that price if ya don't mind me askin?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Glider
Thanks guys, that was the type feedback I was looking for. I found a shop here in Daytona that can Dyno it for $289.00, not sure if that is a good price or not but what is piece of mind worth anyway? Once again, thanks.
A good, full on tune may take 40-50 pulls or more; it takes hours. However, you have the TMax and the tuner will not be starting from scratch. I would talk to the tuner and let him know that you are happy with the basic tune but want the detonation tuned out. Most tuners have an hourly rate; go at it that way.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
You crack me up. Does your bike not ping at 2000 when under load? Harleys ain't designed to be put under load at those RPM's. They ping if you do - especially if you are using regular gasoline. Has anybody asked the OP what octane fuel he is using??? Higher octain can reduce pinging significantly due to the slower burning rate. Even with higher octane gas though, accelerating at 2000 RPM will most likely result in a ping. BUT - once again, I did not take offense to the OP's comments. I AM enjoying all the silly banter from the rest of you though.

Well that was taken in good spirit. Right on I have a new respect and will give respect. Actually I am not spark knocking in that range not audible anyway and I have had spark knock before concentrating on the tune. But I have not used the thundermax. However I have heat issues so its always something isn't it?.

Quick Reply: Detonation