Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoist to lift your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hoist to lift your bike?

I had a rear flat last year (maybe year before) and managed to get my bike to a metric dealer to have a new tube put in. Any case they used a hoist to lift the bike and I thought it was a pretty cool idea. I have a very large steel building and pretty certain the structure would support the weight. Your thoughts on a hoist?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure why you want a bike hangin around, I'm sure there could be some strange obscure reason once in my life where I would want to hang a bike. I use a J&S Lift myself.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
zfdtruckman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, J & S Jack. Can't be beat.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very easy to get your bike to any height you want, no obstruction in the way for changing oil such as you have with a lift and much cheaper than a lift. The hoist and straps could prolly be had for less than $200.00.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

If you mean a "chain- motor", 1/4 ton motors are cheap and run on 110, they are reversible ( I don't think 1/2 ton motors are available and 1 and 2 ton motors require 2 phase power, are heavy and costly---1/4 ton may do fine on a static load)

add a 'span-set" strap and you can lift your bike, pull motors from cars etc.

1.) no guess work, you want an engineer to determine the static weight load your roof system can support, than calculate dynamics, such as wind, rain, snow etc.

2.) Grainger has 'em or you can contact any local vendor who supplies concert lighting or sound systems.
They can also suggest personnel to sort you out.--- you do want the motor at the load end and the chain attached above, easier to install, and for servicing the motor should it need.

3.) a hanging balanced load ( and a bike on a sears, harbor freight, sams club or J&S lift) will change center rapidly when a wheel is pulled off.
My Pal forgot that, dropped his rear wheel ( to change shocks) and the bike nose dived, pulling the strapped to it lift with it

so probably not the best way.

A lift table with a drop out rear tire section would be the way--- and less expensive

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-27-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought my J&S for less than 200.00 at a 20% off sale a few years back, this ain't no Sears jack here, this is high quality take anything you want off the bike and it will stay type of jack, just sayin

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it, it would double as a swing for your grand kids.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend with an after market shop uses a hand operated chain fall when he's only working on one end of a bike. He uses soft ties at the bike, & tie down straps from the hook to the soft ties. Works great lifting one end, but if you lift the entire bike it tends to swing. For that he just uses normal table lifts.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where would you attach the lift to the bike? It seems to me that anything less than the frame would be dubious.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought my lift at Harbor Freight for 71 bucks. Has worked well.

Quick Reply: Hoist to lift your bike?