Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stale date for new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
A lot of automobile assembly plants will not mount a tire that has a year code over one year old.
Ford has used Firestone tires for a 100 years. I doubt if automobile assembly plants really give a crap.
(I have had several Firestone tires and everone of them has went bad before they wore out).

Old 08-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

deleted

Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
I was at one of the HD shops today, the parts department was having a "tire sale". All on sale were Metzler ME880, all sizes , $100.00 each front or rear. Sounds like a pretty good deal. I checked the date codes on the tires , most were 2107, some were 05, 06 . My question is, what is considered "stale" ? I've heard 6 to 7 years, also some say 10 years maximum. Can anyone confirm what is stale?
I'm surprised that an HD Dealership would sell tires that old. Did They want You to sign something releasing Them from liability?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Harsh1828
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer probably got a deal from a supplier.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Ford has used Firestone tires for a 100 years. I doubt if automobile assembly plants really give a crap.
(I have had several Firestone tires and everone of them has went bad before they wore out).

I work for Ford and every tire is scanned, if the date code is older than 1 year it is sent back to the supplier.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would mount them up to 2-3 years old. I burn through them in 6 months so it wouldn't be on the bike long.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just because manufacturers won't use them after they are one year old does not mean they are no good after a year. Some vehicles sit on a lot for years before they are sold and the manufacturers are always subject to law suits so they do what is best to protect themselves.

The USA is conducting studies but currently have no rules regarding tire age. However this is from England.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tires should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tires should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

Last edited by jjnoble; 08-28-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This "stale date" thing has got me wondering about tires on my trailer. We usually take a vacation 1 or 2 times a year, load the car and tow the HD (with more junk strapped on the trailer that won't fit in the car). Not a lot of miles on the trailer, but it was bought in 2006. Does that mean the tires should be replaced to keep from tire failure? We all better take a look at our tires!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dnitram
This "stale date" thing has got me wondering about tires on my trailer. We usually take a vacation 1 or 2 times a year, load the car and tow the HD (with more junk strapped on the trailer that won't fit in the car). Not a lot of miles on the trailer, but it was bought in 2006. Does that mean the tires should be replaced to keep from tire failure? We all better take a look at our tires!
This spring while washing my trailer I noticed cracking on both tires. Severe cracking. I replaced both and decided to keep them covered in-between trips. I put white vinyl tire covers over the new tires. Man it took a few days but those white covers turned brown. From now on I keep them covered and let out some air for winter storage.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:57 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trailers are one of the biggest victims of stale tire failure. People put a couple hundred miles a year on them and figure they'll last a lifetime at that rate. When not in use keep them covered, keep the air pressure up and rotate the tires every couple of months to prevent flat spots. Also check for cracking and deteriorating rubber. Trailers are more suseptible to accidents because of the added weight and the addition of extra axles. People that tow a couple times a year are also not as competent at handling over sized rigs.

Quick Reply: Stale date for new tires?