Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing cap cruise control rocker switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011 | 07:50 AM
danzio
|
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Fairing cap cruise control rocker switch

The light has quit working. The actual cruise control works fine but the light on the rocker switch doesn't want to work. I had the outer fairing off last weekend and installed an XM radio, which involved tapping into the cig plug for 12v power and then permanently mounting the XM cig plug style adapter. None of this should have caused any issue with the cruise switch. Has anyone experienced the lights on these rocker switches going out? Does the whole switch need to be replaced?

Old 08-27-2011 | 08:18 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as it work's I would leave it alone. I alway's found that bright red light to be annoying. However, I don't like to see something quit working properly, but in this case I might reconsider. Sound's like the light in the switch somehow burned out.

Old 08-27-2011 | 08:23 AM
danzio
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by vbx07
As long as it work's I would leave it alone. I alway's found that bright red light to be annoying. However, I don't like to see something quit working properly, but in this case I might reconsider. Sound's like the light in the switch somehow burned out.
You're absolutely right, I should leave it alone. This is truly a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but the OCD in me says get in there and fix it.

Old 08-27-2011 | 08:32 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Might of knocked ground wire loose from switch

Old 08-27-2011 | 08:39 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Take it a step further and take the opportunity to swap out rocker switches for the chrome set from Drag Specialties...............when the wife complains tell her you had to because the light was out.

Old 08-27-2011 | 08:57 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem blowing the running light fuse. It turned out to be the wires running fr. the lower fairing cap to the back wires, they were getting pinched by the radio so I put wire wrap on them and re-routed them. Try taking you're lower cap off and moving the wires.

Old 08-27-2011 | 11:23 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a service part listed in the instructions so I would think you could order it but I check for a loose wire first.

Switch, fairing cap CRUISE on/off

Old 08-27-2011 | 01:21 PM
danzio
|
Stellar HDF Member

These are pricy at $58 but then again, it's less than a HD (hundred dollars). I had the fairing off again this morning and couldn't find any obvious loose wires, it got too hot in the garage so I'll get to tracing the wires later when it cools off. Too friggin' hot to ride today.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 08-27-2011 | 03:13 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Take it a step further and take the opportunity to swap out rocker switches for the chrome set from Drag Specialties...............when the wife complains tell her you had to because the light was out.
I'm in agreement:

Old 05-24-2017 | 07:30 AM
boojum
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My spot switch light is burnt out also. I haven't looked too much into it yet. Chrome switches, that's a slippery slope

Quick Reply: Fairing cap cruise control rocker switch