Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra wind deflector question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultra wind deflector question

So I picked up my new 2011 ultra yesterday. Riding home 2 hours in the pouring rain I appreciated the 12" stock wind deflector but overall I felt like I was in my f-150. I just came off a 03 RKC with the stock windscreen for 56k miles so I am used to being behind a shield but this is way too much. I am 6' and I could not sit up straight enough to see over the deflector. This is the first mod I will be making well not the first I had the stage 1 and rush big louies done...I am not sure the 10" is going to make that much of a difference so I was thinking the 7".

What size deflector do you ultra riders use and what issues would I run into if I went 10" or 7"?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by jjpish; 08-26-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
flhtupser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5' 9" and have a 9.5 inch sheild and see over it very well. I think a 7 would bee too short. The stock is 12.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Measure from the base of the windshield and mark where you can see over the top. Then order one with the forward flip. I use a 9" LRS, it works pretty good at keeping the buffeting down. Thereare other brands that are good also.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

or...save a few bucks.

I'm 6'2". I like the top edge of my windscreen to hit a point about 35' in front of my bike- with this, I can tuck into it during bad weather, see over it nicely, and the wind and rocks go just over my head ( no helmet)

i change windscreens depending on my seat height- I use Ultra, Streetglide and a solo seat depending on what I am doing.

I buy windscreens cheap ( about $35) from other riders who are "upgrading" to the flip/tint/curve etc styles

and I use a rotozip to cut the bottom, hidden, edge- there are 3 keyholes, cut them extra wide and the windscreens can be slid in and out quickly by just loosening the 3 screws.

for my ultra seat- 10"
SG seat- 8"
solo seat 7"

works for me, cheap and flexible.

you may be interested in the "price gouge" thread- that deflector is dandy, and in really crap weather stretch a bungee across you mirror stalks and hang a rag, towel or t shirt on it to catch the spray coming up

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I went with the short Wind Splitter and it does a great job. In the wind the air goes up and over my helmet. So do all the bugs except the little heavy beetles. In the rain the drops that get on the face shield get blown downward and keep the face shield clear. I got it after doing a long ride that included the PCH and out from San Francisco through Death Valley and the desert S.W.

What I found out with the stock shield that the reflections from going into the sun created glare on the front of the shield, rear of the shield and on my face shield. With rain there was the same three layers of water beads to contend with. It reduced visibility too much for me. With the little splitter shield I can see a lot better both going into the sun and it heavy rain.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a 9" when it is warm enough, and switch to a 14" in the winter and look through it! As said by someone else the stock is 12"

Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjpish
So I picked up my new 2011 ultra yesterday. Riding home 2 hours in the pouring rain I appreciated the 12" stock wind deflector but overall I felt like I was in my f-150. I just came off a 03 RKC with the stock windscreen for 56k miles so I am used to being behind a shield but this is way too much. I am 6' and I could not sit up straight enough to see over the deflector. This is the first mod I will be making well not the first I had the stage 1 and rush big louies done...I am not sure the 10" is going to make that much of a difference so I was thinking the 7".

What size deflector do you ultra riders use and what issues would I run into if I went 10" or 7"?

Thanks
Joe
****,I know i can't help you on this one,I have the 4in Black wind deflector on my 2010 Ultra!! I like the look though,it makes the bike look more sporty!! I'm 6ft 3in,so much for wind protection!! lol!! Who needs wind protection when you ride a Hog!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Do the measurements as noted above and determine the height that would come just under your nose. Then get a recurve shield and you will be in business. LRS is a good choice.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hockey8787
I use a 9" when it is warm enough, and switch to a 14" in the winter and look through it! As said by someone else the stock is 12"
I don't think I could ever get used to looking through plastic, especially smoked plastic.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

On my Heritage that I had back in the the '90's and my Roadking from that I had from '99-2007 I cut those shields down with a saber saw. Now I ride a Ultra Limited and live in Northern Florida and with all the love bugs, (other flying bugs), and wth the summer rain squalls I'm keeping my shield stock. At 5' 10" I can sit straight up still see over it or lean back a little and look through as needed depending on the riding conditions (bugs / rain etc.)

Quick Reply: Ultra wind deflector question