Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:33 PM
kdfoster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Here's the deal. I have a 2011 ultra with rinehart 4" slip ons and the se a/c and download. I want to add v/h dresser duals now, but was told if I add the headers I would need to get the bike dyno tuned with a tuner kit. I didn't think you had to get a race tuner if you have the download. He said the motor would burn up if it wasn't dyno tuned. I'm confused now. Thanks in advance .

Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you change the exhaust that much you will need a tune ,because you will create a lean condition if you don't , since you have a free flowing air cleaner.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Your cheapest route is to add a Power Commander V for your fuel management needs. I doubt your bike will "burn up", but the dealers Stage one flash is useless as **** on a boar hog. It's a damn waste of money. But there is a heap of guys out there running the dealer stage one flash with high flow air cleaners, non-Hd headers, and non-Harley muffs. And we haven't heard of any burn-ups as a result. I am not saying that is optimal, just that who ever told you that was full of it. Sorry to put it that way, but it is what it is.
Check with Jamie at Fuel Moto, the sponsor of our Touring Forum. Jamie can provide you will the information you will need to make an intelligent decision on your fuel management needs. And personally, I don't believe you need to subject you bike to the stresses (and expense) of a dyno tune, Fuel Moto has already performed all that research. They have the fuel map that will probably match your configuration and they will load it into the PC V for you so when you get it you can plug and ride.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,799 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by kdfoster
Here's the deal. I have a 2011 ultra with rinehart 4" slip ons and the se a/c and download. I want to add v/h dresser duals now, but was told if I add the headers I would need to get the bike dyno tuned with a tuner kit. I didn't think you had to get a race tuner if you have the download. He said the motor would burn up if it wasn't dyno tuned. I'm confused now. Thanks in advance .
Changing headers is one of the major changes you can make to how your engine runs. Find a good tuner and go with what they are most comfortable with. Some guys are good with SERTs and some with Power Commanders. If you had just slipons, you could have stayed with the download. He gave you good advice.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

I have a 11 road king. I changed the entire system to dresser duals and V&H twin slash 4".. my bike was running fairly lean with this change, and I was getting a backfire in the exhaust.

The only thing keeping the bike from running like complete crap was that I didn't open up the air cleaner.

My advice is spend the 280 bucks on a power commander 5, 120 bucks on a high flow air cleaner kit, and your bike will be running so sweetly beautiful, and fasttttt!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

My 06 has V&H true tuals, Old school screamin eagle slip ons (the ones befor EPA restrictions that are now discontinued - very similar to the rhinharts) and a SE air set up, all running on the stage 1 download. I bought my bike used set up like this and this set up was done when the bike was bought new. (I have the list and dates of all service performed by the dealer) my bike has 40K+ miles on it and it hasnt "blown up"

My opinion is I run a little lean, but not enough to be concerned about.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Mr. Bungle
Novice

09 street glide 30,000+ miles on her with power comander v / auto tune. the auto tune i think is a plus. dresser duals rinehart slips big sucker air. she hauls ***. never dynoed but did fine tune after the basic map from my laptop.getin ready to do 103 kit. and head work.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

With the download you have, it is entirely possible that when changing your headers the motor will work fine.

You can add nightrider.com XIEDS ( $125 shipped) if need be, great bang for the buck and I run my bike with the XIEDS and the stock ECM. I have AC and hi flow slip ons ( stock no cat header).

I completely understand your confusion- every tech Guy you ask wants to sell you that one more "something". Then look confuse when you don't achieve anticipated results.

I'm not big on the piggyback tuners- learning that is a whole new vocation, i don't have brain room left for that .
and my Pals with the tuners don't have particularly good result ( but it they buy that "one more thing" the shop tells them.

IF these headers are what you really want- then change them and see how the bike runs- the signs of a lean running bike are overly hot operating temps --- more importantly pinging, which sounds like pebbles ratting in a coffee can when you try to accelerate quickly or pulling up a long grade.
pinging can cause permanent damage and must not be allowed to persist.

-- changing headers; my take is that the better performance choice is a pipe system which enhances torque- that is provides additional power below 3000 rpm, which is what we need to get 1000 pounds moving in the city or the curves.
Best for that is a 2 into 1 header
next is a header which has a "crossover" a pipe connecting the 2 exhaust headers. when connected, the pulses of gasses heading out, help to pull the next bunch of gasses behind them ( look up "scavenging" ).
The stock header works fine for this---but much, much better when the cat is removed. ( and that's my "value choice"
The V&H X pipe header is similar in function, looks hip and scrapes on right turns...

last up are the "true duals"--- no application in the world uses single pipes attached to cylinders in the hopes of performance--- but for racing motor cycles turning 8000 rpm and WWII aircraft which run in a narrow rpm band
They are the acid wash jeans of the motor cycle world- common today as was the kuryakin "hypercharger" 12 years ago

Mike

Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The HD ECM with adjust the fuel maps for both a free flowing exhaust and intake. It will take the AFR back to the 14.7 to 1 to keep the emissions as required.

HD used to publish that fact in 06 but have quit doing it. Dealers want to sell programs you know. Second dirty little secret. The HD down loads still maintain the emissions at required levels. Their downloads just manage to get the best out of the motor that can be had while holding the emission levels.

Look in the 2012 parts and accessories book. In their down load section they did put in a little blurb about the downloads maintaining emission levels.

Every time that I order a SE air cleaner, the parts guy says that it will require a tune. I smile and walk away. Mine run cooler and better than any SE download and didn't spend a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.