Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Low End Toque & Cooler Temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gasbrnr
Just curious, what is the stock cam good for? Low end, Mid range, top end, or good for nothing. Is the stock cam low performance because of emissions requirments?
Gotta believe so. Being the motor it is, hafta believe the cam is designed for low/low-mid range performance. The MoCo needs to make EPA requirements for noise in the intake and noise/emission in the exhaust. With the performance cams improving both, inatkes and exhaust need(should?) be swapped to compensate, raising both noise/emission levels. That said, are the stock cams the same in all TC 96/103" motors ? Say between a FLHTk and a FatBoy?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about duals. Get a good 2 into 1 pipe for more low end torque. Don't believe me. Ride the same bike with a dual and then a 2 into 1 for a noticeable difference.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 AM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Forget about duals. Get a good 2 into 1 pipe for more low end torque. Don't believe me. Ride the same bike with a dual and then a 2 into 1 for a noticeable difference.

X2 !!! Really no need for cams in my opinion.I just came back from The Smokies and did not have any problems pulling 3rd and 4th gears w/ the ol lady on the back...and I'm on a 06 RK w/ a Thunderheader and PC3.A good 2 into 1,tuner,ac and a crotch cooler from Capt Itch and you'll be VERY satisfied w/ the heat issue.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple solution is to use 5th gear more then 6th gear. No money needed. LOL

Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Lone Rambler
Cruiser

I would like to Thank everyone for there suggetions & opinions, much apprecciated.
I do know that a 2-1 exhaust would work the best for the low end torque, but I perfer the Dual mufflers & a headpipe with a crossover not true Duals. I am concerned with the V&H power Duals not sure if I am one who rides hard enough to scrap or not, i don't want to find out the hard way. So I will probally go with the Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipe, & the V&H Turndown Mufflers. I do like the looks of these mufflers & perfer mufflers that offer quiter baffles, not to likely to ever run them but there is that possiblity. Probally go with Arlen N Big Sucker AC.
With a good tuner I am hoping this is all I need, hopfully cams want be nessacary. I may try the new Dyno jet Power Vision, not sure if I am smart enough to use it thuo LOL ( honestly). Again Thanks everyone!!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

A good tune will cool it down some,but the stock cam will only let you go so much.It doesn't have enough overlap.I think the Andrews 26 would be more suited to you than the 37 i recommened earlier

Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Gutting the cat, adding the SE I air cleaner and a Fi2000R Cobra fuel programmer will cost you under $500 and will run the engine cooler and stronger than any other method.

I run three bikes that way. The 10 Ultra pulls the Rockies in 6th gear. Never any pinging and I run 87 to 89 octane. It went through Death Valley in the afternoon with no issues.

I run the stock exhaust.

The set up yields 50 mpg and the Ultra has 18K on it with that set up. Again spent less than $500.

The Cobra is plug and play. Only takes 30 minutes max to install. No need to dyno the bike.
Running a lower octane at high altitude might work, but in Death Valley it's a bad idea with the denser air. Does the Cobra adjust the fuel from the sensor readings or is a dedicated tune? Do you have a tune for standard octane vs. premium? You may not hear the pinging and knocking that is occuring.

Also the stock mufflers are very restrictive in terms of power and obviously sound. A dyno tune will dial it in further.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-29-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
stogieluvr60
Cruiser
Default Power duals concerns

Originally Posted by Lone Rambler
I would like to Thank everyone for there suggetions & opinions, much apprecciated.
I do know that a 2-1 exhaust would work the best for the low end torque, but I perfer the Dual mufflers & a headpipe with a crossover not true Duals. I am concerned with the V&H power Duals not sure if I am one who rides hard enough to scrap or not, i don't want to find out the hard way. So I will probally go with the Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipe, & the V&H Turndown Mufflers. I do like the looks of these mufflers & perfer mufflers that offer quiter baffles, not to likely to ever run them but there is that possiblity. Probally go with Arlen N Big Sucker AC.
With a good tuner I am hoping this is all I need, hopfully cams want be nessacary. I may try the new Dyno jet Power Vision, not sure if I am smart enough to use it thuo LOL ( honestly). Again Thanks everyone!!
I have been running the Power Duals on my 09 Ultra since the fall of 09 and I have NEVER touched them down. The floorboards.....yes. But the Power Duals no. If you look at them installed on a touring bike w/ floor boards you can see which is gonna touch down first. Now a soft tail or some thing with pegs, I won't say. I have had that bike on the Dragon in TN/NC and on some real twisty roads in SE OH and no issues. The thing about the Power Duals for me is all the other de-catted headers and x-pipes re-use the stock cross-under pipe which I did not want to do. I don't like how the stock cross-under is all squished down, reducing flow to the left side. Flow on a stock set-up is 65%-35% with the right side getting the majority of the flow. The Power Duals is more like 55%-45% which gives a much more balanced sound level, very close to true duals but without the torque dip that is common with true duals. I hope this doesn't come too late and helps.