Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 AM
1BBA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Here

I would like to introduce myself, My name is Billy I live in Mississippi I have been riding for at least 10 years. I do not own a HD yet but hopefully will once I get home from work. I have been reading this forum for a week or so trying to get some good insight on which way to go with my bike purchase but now I am just a little confused and was hoping some of you more experienced HD owners could give me some advice, so here goes my question.

I have found a 2008 Ultra Classic bone stock with 6991 miles on it with an asking price of $18,399 which the dealer says they will discount.

I have also found a 2009 Ultra Classic with 7073 miles that has had the tour pack and lower fairing removed but has the chrome aluminum wheels, front and rear streetglide signals added chrome switch housings and levers and chrome forks added plus some other chrome goodies, they are asking $17,604 which I am sure they will come off a little also.

as far as the non tour pack and lower fairing goes I was gonna remove that anyway. Which bike would be the better bike, I know the 09 has the new frame and gear ratio also re-routed exhaust, but I have read here that the 08 is also very good year model also. Plus what would be a reasonable price to pay for either of these at the dealer?

I know there will be different opinions on this but I would like to know what some of you seasoned HD riders think. Also I know I can find better deals from individuals but I have to try and trade my current bike in. Sorry for such a long first post. your responses are greatly appreciated

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Billy,

I have a '06 Street Glide and wish that I had the Ultra Classic. When I bought my Bike I didn't want the trunk or the lowers and now I'm looking to "upgrade" to the Ultra just for those reasons alone. My suggestion is to buy the '08 and make the tour pack removable. Also the other do-dads you can add as you see fit. Price wise if you can get the '08 for $17k OTD I think you are doing good.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! Good luck with the new purchase. Man, if that's really 7k, that's a no brainer, but I'm sure you meant 17k. I'd try to get the 09, but that's me.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

If you were going to remove the lowers and tour pack anyway then definitely the 09. New frame, bigger tire and all around a better bike.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy from Arkansas and welcome to the forum...JMO,,I'd go with the 09>>>>>

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome from Florida.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

09, the frame changes alone are enough to give it the edge over the 08.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
hdelectra
Road Captain

I too would go with the '09 for the reasons listed above (frame, larger tire, exhaust improvements, etc), if you can get them to come down some.

Is it that the lowers & tour-pak are removable or are they gone to never be seen again?

I'll tell you, when I had my '05 EGC, I removed the tour-pak because I hated it, hated the looks of it, etc. Turns out, at the end of it all, I rode with it ON 95% of the time. Just sayin!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
1BBA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SG Mike
Hi Billy,

I have a '06 Street Glide and wish that I had the Ultra Classic. When I bought my Bike I didn't want the trunk or the lowers and now I'm looking to "upgrade" to the Ultra just for those reasons alone. My suggestion is to buy the '08 and make the tour pack removable. Also the other do-dads you can add as you see fit. Price wise if you can get the '08 for $17k OTD I think you are doing good.

Good luck!

Mike
Mike I do like the tour pack and lowers on the 08, but for my 2 or 3 hundred mile runs I make I really can't see having that extra weight back there plus if I just had a luggage rack I have a nice bag to throw on there if I need extra clothes. I think it will ultimately come down to how willing they are to deal plus I am not sure the wife knows I plan to take the tour pack off so she might make this decision for me. Thanks for your input

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
1BBA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Welcome to the Forum! Good luck with the new purchase. Man, if that's really 7k, that's a no brainer, but I'm sure you meant 17k. I'd try to get the 09, but that's me.
Yeah 17k I fat fingered it. I have edited it. Thanks

Quick Reply: New Guy Here