Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack "minor" problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 11:33 AM
jlacasci
|
Tourer
Default Tour Pack "minor" problem

Hey folks,

I'll describe this as best as I can, hopefully some of you will know what I'm talking about. First, I've got a new 05 Ultra, just around 1500 miles on it now. I haven't carried anything in the tour pak yet other than glasses, helmet, jacket and a few light gorceries.

I just noticed the following:

When the pack is open, (assume I'm standing on the right side of the bike, with the pak open in front of me, hinges in front of me, hope this drawing helps).

___hinge side______
|.............................|
| xx........................|
-------open side ------

where the two x's are there's a raised part of the pak, about 1/2 inch wide, maybe 1.5 inches long. There is a screw head popping
through the plastic of the pak and the "carpet". Looking under the pak shows this is one of the mounting screws. It looks obvious to me that this would happen all of the time if there wasn't something between the screw and the pak to prevent it. Is this normal and to be expected (if it is it kinda sucks). Or should I bitch to the dealer? Am I being a little ridiculous with this?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 07-13-2005 | 12:13 PM
Big Ted
Road Master
Default RE: Tour Pack "minor" problem

I have had my touring pack for about 5000 miles and have not noticed anything like this. I will have to check it again, but would think I would notice a bulge in the carpet.

Old 07-14-2005 | 12:05 AM
eg willy
Cruiser

Hello jlacasci:
I have a mounting bolt in that location on my '05 EG Classic, the hex part of the 1/4-20 bolt is the part showing under the pad. its the rear mount for the tour pak....I would have the dealer check this. Maybe it was not installed exactly right. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2005 | 12:10 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Joe - I have an 05 EG Classic - You got me interested so I went and looked in the garage - In my tour-pak, about where you note the xx's is a bolt head - Under the bolt head is the antenna ground wire which terminates at the antenna - There is no "wear-through" on mine and I use it eveyday petty much loaded to the gills, briefcase, shoes, extra helmut, tons of groceries, you name it. May be some would think you were being silly but I don't - What kills me is that they sell nice inserts for both the bottom section and the lid. For what an Ultra costs they should at least include the bottom insert but they don't - I will end up buying both at some point but if I were you I would at least tell the dealer you want a new one - I noticed you put "carpet" in quotes - Mine is a rubber mat and I assume your's is the same - Good luck!

Old 07-14-2005 | 11:38 AM
jlacasci
|
Tourer

Funny, I was on the web getting the phone number for my dealer when the service department called me to see if I was happy with the Stage 1 kit/Quest install they did on Saturday. I was happy with that work, but upset with the Tour Pak issue, they had me bring the bike in.

There service manager took a look at it, didn't offer to replace anything, but they did take the tour pak off and turned all the screws upside down so that the extended part of the screw is now pointing down. I can take a photo of the under side to show you folks. I'm not sure if the pak was installed incorrectly with the screws from the factory or what (assuming the pak is put on at the factory). But in no way in my opinion should a screw poked a hole through the pak???

So now it looks like the remaining bolts/screws shouldn't do this. I just don't know if I want to try and get them to replace the pak or not... I doubt that water will get in from the underside, and I might buy inserts at some point anyway...

If you want a photo (now that I know how to post one) I can.

Thanks all,
Joe

Old 07-14-2005 | 01:03 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

The screws should face down, not up. That is probably the only problem. I'm not sure whether touring bikes are shipped with the tour pac installed or not. If not, the dealer probably just made a mistake when mounting the tour pac. If not, the mistake was made at the factory..

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-14-2005 | 09:35 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kess

For what an Ultra costs they should at least include the bottom insert but they don't
My 05 Ultra included the molded tour pack liner(53278-97) the pouch (53165-89A) and the luggage for both the tour pack and saddlebags. That is assuming of course that I didn't just pay extra without knowing it (which is also a possibility)

Steve

Old 07-15-2005 | 12:09 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Check with the dealer. If you have racks on your tour pak then you paid for it and didn't know it. I have the 04 Ultra and I have no issues with any boltheads sticking up at all. The tour paks are the same.

Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/FF861BEAD4D14D4F8B531D6E6D9C1A2F.jpg[/IMG]