Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM/SE Tuner Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
harley1005
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM/SE Tuner Warranty Issue

My 2008 SG is in the Shop and the Stealer says my ECM is out and that the Extended Warranty will cover the ECM, but not the Tuner. At time of purchase I had the Stage 1, 103 Kit installed along with the SE Tuner. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so, did the Extended Warranty also cover the Tuner. Hell, the way I see it is: I wouldn't need another SE Tuner if the ECM hadn't of went out. But, I'm sure they don't look at it like that! lol And yes I know some people say the SE Tuner voides the warranty before we go there, but I've never had any Stealer denie my warranty because of the SE Tuner. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
caspr2
Tourer

Let us know how this plays out. That is one thing I asked when I had the SERT installed and the dealer said it would be no problem. But since then the dealership has changed hands.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM
harley1005
Tourer

caspr2< I will let everyone know how this plays out for sure.

Attached Thumbnails ECM/SE Tuner Warranty Issue-sgsupertrapps.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by harley1005
My 2008 SG is in the Shop and the Stealer says my ECM is out and that the Extended Warranty will cover the ECM, but not the Tuner. At time of purchase I had the Stage 1, 103 Kit installed along with the SE Tuner. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so, did the Extended Warranty also cover the Tuner. Hell, the way I see it is: I wouldn't need another SE Tuner if the ECM hadn't of went out. But, I'm sure they don't look at it like that! lol And yes I know some people say the SE Tuner voides the warranty before we go there, but I've never had any Stealer denie my warranty because of the SE Tuner. Thanks in advance for any feed back.
I dont understand your issue. If you are not making any other mods to your engine, why cant your dealer just load the previous map on your new ecm module? You have the interface module from the last time, right?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

why would an aftermarket part be covered by a factory warranty?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Kojak nailed it! SE is not aftermarket.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

His old SE/RT is "married" to his old ECM, cannot be used on another ECM so he now needs a new tuner also. There's some sharp guys out there that could work around this, but you won't likely find a dealer doing it.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Buy a Tmax. Screw the dealer if they don't help you out a little. Sounds like your ECM will be covered but I am sure they are going to make you pay to put the secret little tune back on it. Pick up an ECM on ebay or something and do a PCV or just Tmax it and forget about it.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by tdkkart
His old SE/RT is "married" to his old ECM, cannot be used on another ECM so he now needs a new tuner also. There's some sharp guys out there that could work around this, but you won't likely find a dealer doing it.
Gotcha! Had forgotten about that.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Gotcha! Had forgotten about that.
In the fall of 2009, bought an SEPRT from local dealership for a savings of $75.00.
May 2010 installed a base map from software before taking to a well respected tuner in the Fraser Valley here in British Columbia.
Got a call saying the tuner was not responding and that it was getting warm almost hot??
I dropped into the dealership where it was bought and parts guy said it was a race part and no warranty.
Hmm, went to service booked a dyno appointment , next morning get a phone call from HD dyno guy and he says the dongle is nfg and is getting warm, I ask about warranty as I did buy it from their shop last fall...same reply "race part, blah blah blah"
Mother HD has a 1-800 number dealer service network with techs to disscuss just such issues... this dealership never called and was trying to take the quick route to making more money by selling me another SETuner.
I called customer service in Toronto and spoke with the guy there on several occassions where I found out about the dealer net tech assistance.
Eventually , they offered me a refurbished Tuner and this was even as I was trying to pry open the now NFG dongle.
My advice is get the Mothership Customer Service people involved and see where it goes.
Hope I didnt loose anyone in my troubles with the Pro Tuner.
Rob

Quick Reply: ECM/SE Tuner Warranty Issue