Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went shopping for my first Harley and.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:03 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I went shopping for my first Harley and.....

My wife and I went yesterday to start the process of getting a new Roadking. We are looking to finance. The dealer wants us to get the service package and extended warranty. He felt it was something that we should get and wouldn't regret it. I was wondering how many of you, who have bought your machines new, took out the service plan and extended warranty. Do you think it is wise? It sure tacked on a lot to the monthly payment. Just wondering what you all think?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:11 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I went shopping for my first Harley and.....

Sure the dealer wants you to get it, cause they make large. Personally, I never get extended warranty/service on anything...and have never regretted it!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:16 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They love it cause it puts a bunch of cash in their pocket, the extended warranty can be purchased right up to the last day of your 2 year original warranty, so if by then youre sure you like it and plan to keep it, this is a good peace of mind deal. I have read that some guys who ride the heck out of their bikes bought the service package and are happy, but its because they really lay on the miles drawback is if you dont then it is better to pay as you go or do it youreself, also another drawback if they do it youre locked into using harley oil. Id get the best deal on the bike and pass on the service and decide on the extended warranty later.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:17 PM
rwagon57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Bounty Hunter said, those programs are high profit items for the dealer. Your new bike has a 24 month warrenty. Plan on riding the wheels off it and you will find any problems and get them fixed. Why pay interest on your service? Just budget for it and pay it when it's due. You will end up with more money for the important stuff like gas and chrome.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
lblax
Tourer

the only things worthwhile buying an extended warranty for are laptop computers and expensive digital cameras

Old 11-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,448 Likes on 4,362 Posts

Amen, here too.

Maybe take what the loan pmt. incr. would have been for the extended stuff and put the monthly amt. away in your sock drawer... draw on that if you do actually need it after 24 months, or grin big when you use it for your next big purchase years down the road.

ORIGINAL: rwagon57

What Bounty Hunter said, those programs are high profit items for the dealer. Your new bike has a 24 month warrenty. Plan on riding the wheels off it and you will find any problems and get them fixed. Why pay interest on your service? Just budget for it and pay it when it's due. You will end up with more money for the important stuff like gas and chrome.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:38 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 4 year extended warranty on my first HD in 2001, It cost me an extra $829.00.
At that time HD had a 1 year warranty. I put on 18,500 miles in the three years that I owned it and I never needed it once. In May of 2004 I bought my Road King and I did not get the extended warranty. I used that money for exhaust & A/C kit. I wouldn't purchase the service plan, but that's just me. I do my own services it's cheeper and fun.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

well- when i bought mine, if i bought the extended warranty- the dealer waived the set-up fee (which was quite a few hundred bucks) AND i wanted the wheel/tire coverage. so i went with it- even though the dealer WAS making some nice profit.

service contracts? not for me.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
ArRazor
Intermediate

Tell them to what you will pay for the warranty and service plan if you actually want them. If they don't want to sell it for that, tell them to remove them from your contract. They make alot of money on those and I know in the car business, they will negotiate a lower price usually if someone has the ***** to ask for it. Tell them you will pay 100.00 over their actual cost and ask to see it if you are comfortable with that. It's a place to start.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain

It's more of a peace of mind!!!! I bought it. I did because of the electronics on the bike (SG). Try to negotiate a better price, but I'd get it. I got a better deal when I combined the war. w/ a tourpack war. (radio and other electronics), and tires war. Sure I may have still gotten screwed w/ no lubrication, but.....I got a peace of mind too.

Also, I noticed when you bring it in and show you have the ex. war. they seem to get you in and out faster with no BS. (That's just my experience)

I have a buddy (who can run circles around any top HD mechanic blind folded) who works on his, and my bike. But there are times when he says, "I'd rather not waste my time on that since your war. fixes it for free" !!! (Since he works on mine for free) Then that's the time the Ex-war. will come in handy.

If you don't have a buddy who's a great mechanic, I would!!!!

Just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: I went shopping for my first Harley and.....