Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I made a mistake, loud mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,947 Likes on 3,560 Posts

I asked around when i bought my bike and spoke to alot of people...stood around at the dealer on a sATURDAY pm AND LISTENED....Ended up getting SE slip ons because they sounded just right...The Bassanis sound awesome but was a bit too loud for me...See if The MFG. has quiet baffles or find somebody to trade...

Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

All ear plugs are not created equal and different ones work better, or not so good. I have some different styles of expanding foam that work well IF rolled up well and inserted properly. Tried some swimming type, rubber with little flaps or rings that were less than satisfactory. The foam ones make a huge difference on wind noise and take some of the sharpness out of the exhaust. The reason I went with the SE street performance mufflers was because I didn't want loud and I am pleased. Parts swapping on these bikes can get expensive until you find the right combination for you.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Max96
If the baffles are removable, pull them and have someone weld a bolt across the middle of the inlet and/or outlet. Will increase backpressure a bit but also will quiet it down. Have done this with an old set of slip ons in the past, worked great.
Yes, I forgot about that, I did that with a set of mufflers about 4 years ago. I would need to call FM to see if that would make any deference to the map they installed to my PCV.
I will call up Bassani today to see if they have something that's not on the web site. I will look in to all the options you guys have gave me so far...Thanks.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

It's a bastard finding the right exhaust. I loved the power and the tone of my FatCat, but the volume was unbearable on trips. I literally couldn't be happier with the 4" Jackpots. It's sedate enough at cruise that I can ride without earplugs if I want.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyphoenix
Waist?.........
Give the guy a break man.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If the baffle is just plain louvered pull them and wrap them. Most any rice rocket dealer will have repack fiberglass kits (sheet of fiberglass mesh) in stock. Cut to the appropriate size. Get some bailing wire or similar and wrap the glass criss cross up and down the baffle. If you do not then the material will get pushed to the back of the pipe and be useless. If the baffle is already wrapped then add more material if there is room. Looking here seems as though the 4" slip-ons have a lot more options. Sell the 3.5" and get some of the 4"ers.

Adam

Last edited by modes; 08-25-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Or maybe a set of the Big City Thunder Baffles (bottom of the page) that install in front of the slipon in the exit of the header pipe.

Adam

Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,844 Likes on 4,056 Posts

Good luck on a baffle system. Depends on what you want. I did not care for mine loud and after going thru quite baffles on a Python system realized all you are doing is plugging it with a 2 bit baffle system. Since I did not have the original, picked up a new take off off ebay.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by modes
If the baffle is just plain louvered pull them and wrap them. Most any rice rocket dealer will have repack fiberglass kits (sheet of fiberglass mesh) in stock. Cut to the appropriate size. Get some bailing wire or similar and wrap the glass criss cross up and down the baffle. If you do not then the material will get pushed to the back of the pipe and be useless. If the baffle is already wrapped then add more material if there is room. Looking here seems as though the 4" slip-ons have a lot more options. Sell the 3.5" and get some of the 4"ers.

Adam
I also saw a post and link to a site were the guy made a custom baffle by adding/welding half a cut baffle [to make it longer] and also wrapping it in glass and bailing wire like a earlier post said, I am at work right now, but if you search quiet baffle i think you can find it... I have the same issue with my Rinehart True Duals..nice sound and power but throbbing forehead after 4 hours of ridding not so much

Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Been thru the situation from Thunder headers to Ovals to Monster Ovals and now I want some thing more quilter but all the crap I did to the motor there is no software to accommodate anything less then what I have on it.

Quick Reply: I think I made a mistake, loud mufflers