Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Headers are so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
vgreno2000
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Headers are so bad?

Hi you all!!!

Are the catalyzed headers so restrictives with the air flow of the exhausts?

Should I change them on a RKC 2012 to get good power, sound and less heat?

Or I can just change mufflers, air filter and tune?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
gaither2004
Novice

I think the cat in the headers are a big part of the heat and they are also restrictive. I think I read it on this forum somewhere. "It plugs up the pipe like a tampon for an elephant". If you do a package like FullSac and others advertise, you get a pretty good price that fixes all of the issues at once.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are threads about this approximately every 3 days.

On a bike with mild bolt-ons, it reduces sound slightly and does generate extra heat. A tune can lower the cat temp without removal. Cutting out the cat from the stock head pipe is worth nothing for peak power, but swapping to an x-pipe like what you can get from Fullsac, Fuel Moto, or Vance & Hines will improve power slightly. It isn't that significant, though.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The HD cats are exceptionally free flowing. Not like car cats made with thick honeycombed ceramic material. They are very thin coated corrugated metal that take up less than 10% of the container volume.

You will not notice the difference. Removing them will eliminate the very high temp that they function with. That is reason enough to remove them. Unless you love gold and blue pipes and mufflers.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
There are threads about this approximately every 3 days.

On a bike with mild bolt-ons, it reduces sound slightly and does generate extra heat. A tune can lower the cat temp without removal. Cutting out the cat from the stock head pipe is worth nothing for peak power, but swapping to an x-pipe like what you can get from Fullsac, Fuel Moto, or Vance & Hines will improve power slightly. It isn't that significant, though.
Yep, what he said. They don't restrict the flow that much, but restrick sound and generate a ton of heat for the bike and the riders.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The HD cats are exceptionally free flowing. Not like car cats made with thick honeycombed ceramic material. They are very thin coated corrugated metal that take up less than 10% of the container volume.

You will not notice the difference. Removing them will eliminate the very high temp that they function with. That is reason enough to remove them. Unless you love gold and blue pipes and mufflers.
while I agree with you that they don't have a big effect on flowI will say they do take up a lot more then 10% of the container volume. I cut one and removed the cat material and I would estimate it was closer to 50% which still left plenty of flow. look up the header pipe and you can see exactly what the stuff looks like. When you cut the section in two you can hold it up to the light and you can see it looks like about 1/2 material 1/2 free space.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
dnitram
Road Master

Question all the posts here you want, but believe they generate LOTS of HEAT! Mine's gone and the heat was just one of the benefits of removing the CAT.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With the CAT removed they let the exhaust flow less restrictive & the sound difference is significantly better at least with aftermarket slip ons. I'm running the V&H Hi Flows & so is my brother & my 08 with NO-CAT is significantly louder than my brothers RG with the same mufflers. That alone tells me it is restrictive....

Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Love my cat!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of the cat---then a good tune and the bike will run much cooler.

Quick Reply: Cat Headers are so bad?