Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 ultra coughing, dying when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
sparkybr74mr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ultra coughing, dying when warmed up

I recently bought a 2005 ultra with some fuel problems, when the bike is first started it runs fine, great throttle response, but once it get up to operating temp she starts to cough though the air cleaner and it continues to get worse until it dies. Once the bike has set for about 10-20 minutes she runs fine until its warmed up again and it goes downhill from there. I have just replaced the intake seals, fuel filter, changed gas and replaced the fuel lines. Any suggestions are appreciated

Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
sparkybr74mr
Intermediate

forgot to mention, the bike had been sitting for a few years, which is why I had to replace the fuel line inside and outside the tank, replaced the fuel tank with a new one due to damage on the old tank, thoght it would be the filter and then seals, made no difference the bike has 14k miles and as far as I can see only has the se tips on.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
user 29711972
Banned

I'm no tech, but I'd probably check things like the spark plugs and oil pump. Crappy old plugs might foul out once the old gummed up oil pump starts to get oil high enough in the engine? Crap, I don't know...sounds stupid once I type it out.

Are there any codes?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
sparkybr74mr
Intermediate

Got new plugs, I'm willing to try anything, doesn't sound like fuel hoses in-tank are leaking either, i was thinking it might be the battery. Don't know much about the FI systems

Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 PM
user 29711972
Banned

Is the battery pretty old as well? It could be running low on juice and having trouble keeping all of the necessary electronics running, but it would seem strange for it to regenerate its juice just from sitting for 20 minutes with the bike off. If it's been sitting for a few years without being on a battery tender, it's likely that it should be replaced anyway.

This might sound weird...but maybe there are things that (at some point) nested in the exhaust or air filter housing, and then when things get hot enough from too little air flow, the engine shuts down to save itself from heat damage? Again, WILD guess on this. I'm surprised more of the skilled and educated mechanics on here haven't chimed in on this.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
sparkybr74mr
Intermediate

Just bought a new battery, The one that was in it was half the size and not as many cranking amps. Still same problem. Air filter housing is clean as well. I will look at the mufflers when she's cooled down a bit.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
caspr2
Tourer

If I remember correctly H-D had a recall on a circuit breaker that would overheat and cause the problem you are having. I had a 2002 FLHTCUI that did the same thing yours is doing.
I just knew it had to be a fuel problem, took it to dealer and they did the recall and all my problems went away.
Just maybe that is your problem. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 AM
sparkybr74mr
Intermediate

I found the recall, I think it was for the 02-03 years. I think it may be electrical somewhere like the tps or crank sensor or even the liing system. Anybody else have any ideas

Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkybr74mr
I recently bought a 2005 ultra with some fuel problems, when the bike is first started it runs fine, great throttle response, but once it get up to operating temp she starts to cough though the air cleaner and it continues to get worse until it dies. Once the bike has set for about 10-20 minutes she runs fine until its warmed up again and it goes downhill from there. I have just replaced the intake seals, fuel filter, changed gas and replaced the fuel lines. Any suggestions are appreciated
Sounds like you need a diagnostic run at a dealer.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
sparkybr74mr
Intermediate

I just came from a mechanics shop who recently was employed at a out of town H-D dealership. He found that besides the exhaust system some other mods. He said he believes a fuel additive adjustable fuel tuner is the answer since it runs good after start up (when the enrichener is on) and when it runs rough shortly after (enrichener off) He said that Harleys are set up from the factory in lean conditions and I need to richen up the delivery of fuel. Any input?

Quick Reply: 2005 ultra coughing, dying when warmed up