Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Mufflers are Back On

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Stock Mufflers are Back On

Just returned from a three day ride and had a great time. The FLHT ran fine but the constant droning of the exhaust (especially when accelerating hard) became tiresome. So today I removed my SE Touring Mufflers and put the stockers back on. Then re-mapped the ECM to "air box only" with the TTS and took it out. The bike runs great, I can't detect any loss in power and I'm liking the less noise. So $475 down the drain.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there done that! My stock slip ons went back on the other day.......I love it now!

Dont tell anyone, but I almost went and test drove a Goldwing! After the stockers went back on, no Goldwing for me (yet). :-)

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel the same way about the SE mufflers, just a loud high pitched cracking noise, I don't like them at all. Other people like them alot, sell them here on the forum and get a set of American Custom pipes. The mid range baffles are pretty mello, just drill them out until you get the sound you want.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS much as really like the loud pipes, I like the idea of keeping my hearing for many years to come. I too went back to stock. After a full day on the road I couldn't even get to sleep because of the roar in my head. AS far as the loud pipes making me safer I will just have to ride smarter.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
VineRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SE Fatshotz are a perfect blend of low rumble and street legal noise level. I really love these mufflers and woudl highly recommend them.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have any of you guys had or heard the Jackpot Dyno Tuned Slip-On's?

I'm searching for something a tad louder than stock (but still noise compliant), with a deeper rumble, that will sound good with stock head pipes w/ cats in place.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SIU 96
AS much as really like the loud pipes, I like the idea of keeping my hearing for many years to come. I too went back to stock. After a full day on the road I couldn't even get to sleep because of the roar in my head. AS far as the loud pipes making me safer I will just have to ride smarter.
I will not ride without earplugs. Its the wind noise more than the pipes causing most folks problems. Try a set of the dense foam plugs. You can still hear what you need to hear, but no ringing after you get home. Protects your hearing for sure.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
user 29711972
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stock exhaust with a little bit of drilling done to make them a little louder. They have a nice rumble when I hit the throttle hard, but at steady cruising they are mellow enough...especially now that I have a baker 6-speed. Drop it into 6th and just glide!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
mja52403
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree. Earplugs make a world of difference. The exhaust sounds better since the wind noise is cut out. I wear a half helmet and all I hear is wind noise. So for me, I too go with earplugs for any distance riding.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool exhaust change

Some interesting thoughts here:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...pagemode=print

I like mine Quiet Also. . . . just not stock. My Bassani Road Rage won't be legal in Maine, but it also passes the 92 db drive by test. It has the QUIET baffel and has the look that I wanted. I now wear a Modular Helmet all the time to give more ear & eye protection.

JMHO

Quick Reply: Stock Mufflers are Back On