Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Mufflers are Back On

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Supertrapp super megs are a performance pipe- one of the top rated.

and about as quiet as the owner wants- flow and volume can be adjusted.

The stacked disc baffle system breaks up sound waves.

So that's a way to go.

ear plugs can be a good idea, road and wind noise are pretty fatiguing

Mike

Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earplugs for me all the time no matter how short the ride. I like the sound of the Supertrapp SE with the cat in place....nice mellow note but can bark a bit if need be

Old 08-24-2011, 01:34 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Them loud *** pipes sound cool as hell till you ride any distance on 'em. I removed my thundercones and put on a stock 2:1 set up. Not whisper quiet but it doesn't make my brain hurt after a few hours in the saddle.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Have any of you guys had or heard the Jackpot Dyno Tuned Slip-On's?

I'm searching for something a tad louder than stock (but still noise compliant), with a deeper rumble, that will sound good with stock head pipes w/ cats in place.
I have the 3.5" FuelMoto Jackpot Dyno-tuned slip-ons (slash-down, Stage1 a/c with H-D download) and I couldn't be happier. Louder than stock at take off and going thru the gears, but they mellow out when up-to-speed. The 4" pipes were not yet available when I ordered mine, so I can't comment on them, but you won't find better customer service anywhere - period.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I put on the detachable fairing on my RK for some tunes, and took a 380 mile ride last Sunday with my SE 65115-98B's (same as Supertrapp SE). I was riding some curvy, hilly roads and couldn't hear the tunes 80% of the time with the RPM's moving up and down. It was annoying that I couldn't hear the tunes with out blasting way up high to a point that that the music hurt my ears. The bike got louder this year with the addition of Andrews TW21 cams.

So I put on my modified stockers (still very quiet) and I hate that sound too. Sounds like babies farting though their diapers! But I can hear my tunes much better. Yet at the same time, I normally don't run with the fairing.

Furthermore, I don't know if it is purely coincedence, but my last three days of commuting here in the suburbs on the Interstates has been down right scary. More people have cut over, or pulled out in front of me in the last three days than in the whole year combined.

The 98B's are going back on. I wish I had the funds for some Monster Rounds or other known good sounding quieter muffs, but I have kids in college, nuff said.

I guess I will give the ear plugs another shot. They just irritate the crap out of my ears after about 10 minutes. Is there something more comfortable then the foam plugs?

thanks for putting up with my rant.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
StCRider
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did a 500 mile round trip this weekend on my RKC with FuelMoto Jackpots (packing removed). Had some worn out earplugs and had a little humming in the ears after 250 miles. Better decibel rating earplugs on the way back and better results with wind and exhaust noise.

I think for a lot of touring I would switch to the stock muffs. They are easy to swap out. For most of my riding, I leave the JackPots on and sometimes remove the right baffle for weekend blasts around town!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I put on the detachable fairing on my RK for some tunes, and took a 380 mile ride last Sunday with my SE 65115-98B's (same as Supertrapp SE). I was riding some curvy, hilly roads and couldn't hear the tunes 80% of the time with the RPM's moving up and down. It was annoying that I couldn't hear the tunes with out blasting way up high to a point that that the music hurt my ears. The bike got louder this year with the addition of Andrews TW21 cams.

So I put on my modified stockers (still very quiet) and I hate that sound too. Sounds like babies farting though their diapers! But I can hear my tunes much better. Yet at the same time, I normally don't run with the fairing.

Furthermore, I don't know if it is purely coincedence, but my last three days of commuting here in the suburbs on the Interstates has been down right scary. More people have cut over, or pulled out in front of me in the last three days than in the whole year combined.

The 98B's are going back on. I wish I had the funds for some Monster Rounds or other known good sounding quieter muffs, but I have kids in college, nuff said.

I guess I will give the ear plugs another shot. They just irritate the crap out of my ears after about 10 minutes. Is there something more comfortable then the foam plugs?

thanks for putting up with my rant.
While I was at a gun show I got a pair of those custom made ear plugs. I've seen them at all the gun shows around here. They cost $35 to $50 dollars depending on how well they are selling. They work as good as ear muffs, I use them when shooting my guns too.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Have any of you guys had or heard the Jackpot Dyno Tuned Slip-On's?

I'm searching for something a tad louder than stock (but still noise compliant), with a deeper rumble, that will sound good with stock head pipes w/ cats in place.

I have them on my flhrc and they are the best...they rumble when you get on it, but when cruzing they are nice and mellow..no ear plugs needed, except to stop the wind noise..

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I swapped the V&H Twin Slash Ovals back to stock mufflers on my RKC. I prefer the quiet sound. I've tried ear plugs - the Army fitted me several times and none would work right.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SIU 96
AS much as really like the loud pipes, I like the idea of keeping my hearing for many years to come. I too went back to stock. After a full day on the road I couldn't even get to sleep because of the roar in my head. AS far as the loud pipes making me safer I will just have to ride smarter.
Ear plugs.

I where them on all but short hops around town.

Plus, in addition to killing the wind noise, they also keep the OLs squaking down to a manageable level.

Quick Reply: Stock Mufflers are Back On