Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!!! Back breaks went out when going down hill

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ubreal
I just hit the top of Sonora pass (for those that do not know Sonora pass it starts and 9600 feet above sea level and has a lot of 15 mph turns) and was heading down hill for some stupid reason I decide to not use my gears and use my breaks. With in about 1 minuet my back breaks were not working they got to hot, when I push the break pedal to stop it would go all the way down to the hard stop. Talk about a scary felling. The front was still working and I down shift to slow down the bike when I let the breaks cool they work fine. I was surprise how fast the breaks went out
Sorry you broke your back. Hope you heal quickly.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Sonora pass said"s DOWNHILL use low gears .my buddy hit me in the back , doing what u did . With his brand new ultra classic . Not to bad. but he said it wouldn't stop .luckily I saw him coming . So I speed up

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Good thing it was the breaks and not your brakes. If your brakes failed you might not have been able to stop.
Yup, it seems like a lot of illegals who know little English are posting and abusing our hospitality. Time to arrest and deport!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,863 Likes on 19,341 Posts

Originally Posted by ubreal
I just hit the top of Sonora pass (for those that do not know Sonora pass it starts and 9600 feet above sea level and has a lot of 15 mph turns) and was heading down hill for some stupid reason I decide to not use my gears and use my breaks. With in about 1 minuet my back breaks were not working they got to hot, when I push the break pedal to stop it would go all the way down to the hard stop. Talk about a scary felling. The front was still working and I down shift to slow down the bike when I let the breaks cool they work fine. I was surprise how fast the breaks went out
I'm guessing that you're riding an '07 scooter. As some ahead of me have stated it's probably way past time to change the fluid. Brake fluid is Hygroscopic ( meaning it has the propensity to absorb moisture from the atmosphere ). Moisture ( water ) is heavier than brake fluid so it will work its way to the lowest point in the system, the calipers. Because the water boils, it evaporates and causes a low and/or ineffective brake. Flushing the system will greatly aid in the reduction/elimination of the problem you encountered. You may/should want to consider using a DOT 5 ( Silicone Based Fluid ) when flushing your system. It has a higher boiling point and ( the best part ) it will not absorb moisture. If you decide to use silicone fluid be sure to completely flush the entire brake system. You should also note on the scooter that you have DOT 5 Fluid in the system so that no one adds a non compatible fluid back in the system. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,863 Likes on 19,341 Posts

Originally Posted by vzts4q
:-) Thank you!
Now I know that I'm not the only one who notices this all to common error on the forum.
too common .... not to common

Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

Once the brakes cool they work fine the rear disk is a little brown I have the Harley floating disk and breaded lines. All my life of riding I always use the compression to slow me down. This time I thought I will save my clutch and use the breaks to slow down, bad move use the gears to slow down. I post this for nobody else will have this problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You most likely have some air in your lines. You may not notice it at the altitudes you normally ride. At high altitudes it is a big problem because the air in the line expands.
I found this out some years ago. I replaced rear pads and inadvertently turned the wrong bolts on the caliper and let air in. Finished the job, the pedal was fine so I didn't bleed. A few weeks later I was on one of the Sierra passes, might have been Sonora, and the same thing happened to me that happened to you. When I got back down to about 5000' everything was fine. Got home and bled the lines and everything is fine.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CtCruzer
If you ride roads like that like me uou need brakes that are set up for that
Stainless lines = more positive feel
fluid i use Wilwood fluid you
Want the highest boil point
pads ebc hh style something meant for aggressive stopping

All this added up means eith minimal brake pressure you get more stopping power

Will you have brake squeel/noise
Maybe will you survive yes

Alot of bikers complain about brake noise and use stock pads for quiet but ehen doing rides like yours just not cut out for the job

want the highedt boil
damn them sausage fingers!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Good thing it was the breaks and not your brakes. If your brakes failed you might not have been able to stop.
there's always a b___ BRAKER in the audience

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check brake fluid. Manual says change every 2 years.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! Back breaks went out when going down hill