Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Spoiler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual

I had rienharts installed on my new ultra limited 2011 should have i had the true dual exhaust put on too? I'm thinking about installing the true dual any comments would be great thanks

Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

is it because it's quiet? I put on some slip on's on my 2011 road kind, thinking i've have a bike that sounded sweet, it sounded like ***. I found out there is a catalytic converter in the head pipes now, and ended up replacing the whole system with some vance and hines dresser duals, a high flow air filter, and a power commander v... i didn't think harley's could run so cherry.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Cadplumber
Intermediate

Well I have been looking at true duals also. I bought the Rinehart 3.5 Extreme setup. Have since changed my mind and am selling the whole system. I might be wrong, but I believe the Rinehart slip on mufflers go on to a 1-3/4 inch header pipe, and the true dual system is a 2 inch muffler and head pipe. You would have to buy the whole exhaust system. I have since decided to run the V&H Hi Output muffles and have the catalytic converter cored out. You might want to consider the same.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Rhienhart True duals and love the sound! Way less heat than stock also

Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Completely depends what you, the owner, is looking for.

if performance gains, then you will not gain performance by switching the headers to true duals, it is possible you may loose some- especially in the range around 2500 where we are pulling away from stops.

some riders are going for a look or a "sound".

Best you determine what you would like the end result to be first.

moderate performance gains will be found by opening up the exhaust tract- either buying a new header system ( which matches your year/model) or having the catalytic converter removed from your stock header pipe - that's the low cost option.

Add a hi flow air cleaner ( I think the $115 Ness Big Sucker the best)

And a tuning method so the motor can take advantage of the increased flow- i use Nightrider.com XIEDS for $125. Other use more complex, ( possibly) flexible and expensive devices.

So you'd be looking at about $500 ( done my way) to gain 7 to 10 horsepower.
Which is what I wanted from my bike.

You can best determine what'll work for you. Sometimes going to a Bike Night or anywhere alot of bikes are will give you idea of what you like and what you don't need.

Mike

Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoiler
I had rienharts installed on my new ultra limited 2011 should have i had the true dual exhaust put on too? I'm thinking about installing the true dual any comments would be great thanks
This is common sense advice. No reason to get true duals unless you have heat issues. You will maintain your low end torque and if you just go with slipons, get a hi-flow a/c and will just need a stage one download and wont have to mess around with EFI tuners, dynotuning etc. Dont worry about the cat, removing it will give you nothing without significant mods to your power train. Like I said, if your bike runs hot, then I might consider TD's, otherwise no.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM
m361
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Rinehart TD setup on my 103" with SERT and Stage 1 upgrades. I am very satisfied with the look and sound, but performance wise they could be better. Especially when riding 2 up. Starting from stop feels like I am trying to start in 2nd gear. Really have to get the rpm's up to keep from stalling. Solo its really not a problem though. Oh...and I have no issues with excessive heat either. So...there's the good and bad from my experience.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cadplumber
Well I have been looking at true duals also. I bought the Rinehart 3.5 Extreme setup. Have since changed my mind and am selling the whole system. I might be wrong, but I believe the Rinehart slip on mufflers go on to a 1-3/4 inch header pipe, and the true dual system is a 2 inch muffler and head pipe. You would have to buy the whole exhaust system. I have since decided to run the V&H Hi Output muffles and have the catalytic converter cored out. You might want to consider the same.
I installed the true dual system it has a 2 inch muffler inlet and the head pipe starts out at 1 3/4" and ends up at 2". The 1 3/4" is the size needed to attach to the cylinder head. The mufflers are 4" in dia
It looks and sounds great, I am very happy I purchased this setup.

2008 Ultra

I

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Lone Rambler
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Completely depends what you, the owner, is looking for.
moderate performance gains will be found by opening up the exhaust tract- either buying a new header system ( which matches your year/model) or having the catalytic converter removed from your stock header pipe - that's the low cost option.

Mike
How difficult is it to remove the catalytic converter on head pipe (2012)?
Would the outcome be somewhat close to say V&H Power Dauls? As far as running cooler, & possible small to moderate performance gain.
Or is there more advantages to going with the V&H Power Dauls?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM
dulley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did u clean the cats out