Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Stupid! Put the kickstand down first!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
rk10
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey Stupid! Put the kickstand down first!

Ok, I have read threads from people posting that they have dropped their bikes and have often thought, that was kinda dumb!
After paying for gas at 5:30 am this morning on my way to work, I got on the bike and got ready to ride, this station is always busy in the morning and I saw many of them looking at my 2010 Vivid Black Road King. Bike wouldnt start and saw the red key alarm light meaning my key fob wasnt within range.
I panicked thinking I left it on the ground back at my house as I always keep it in my pocket but it wasnt there. Maybe its in the hard bag, went to get off without kickstand and down it went. Fortunately, the people that were admiring my bike came running over and helped me get it back up. I felt Stupid and thanked everybody. Amazingly no damage to bike, but Im not sure I will pull into that station in the morning. I thought I looked cool and instead looked like a fool!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Been there, done that. Its a big club.

Sure glad I never took of my crash bars.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, only good thing is that you'll probably never do that again

Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

And the fob was where?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

--- you know there is something about people watching/admiring a bike that throws normality out the window.

My "1 kick" Panhead just will not start if anyone is looking at her.

I kicked my 77 CT90 until my leg about fell off at home depot one day, then I noticed the kill switch was on--- and I never use it!

Have yet to drop a bagger- but I will....

Mike

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

back in the late 70s, several of us rode bikes to work. me on a KZ 900, one on a Honda 350 and the shop drunk on his Honda 750. we'd ride up, slow down to almost a stop, then slam the kickstand down and let the bike tilt on to it. the 750 rider (who almost always came to work hungover or even drunk) would fly up, grab all the brakes he had, come to a stop and fall over. he'd forget the kickstand, sometimes once or twice a week. his bike was scratched up, beat up, dented, you name it. funny as hell.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Opps club.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
exsoftail
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did same type thing at chevron station. Buddy stalled his in street trying to get to pump island. I'm standing above my bike like an embarassed fool in front of store entrance. What a pair to draw to that day. lol now but not when it happened.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 150 Posts

Yep...been there, but in my own garage. Sure thought I had the kick stand down when I started to dismount...then all of a sudden, I was slammed into the side door of the Tahoe. Dang!!! My shoulder was sore for a few days, but I had to laff when my wife began to refer to the "jiffy dent" in the door panel of the truck.
Then there was the time a buddy and I we're out...turning right from a dead stop...too much clutch and not enough throttle equals a stall. Foot down but not smart enough to grab the front brake lever and just kinda layed it down on my leg and foot in slow mo. Thank God my partner was there in a flash to help lift it off of me and get it upright. Right there in traffic too...embarrassing but oh well, it coulda been worse huh?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's one of those things that NO ONE is immune from.

I did it a gas station & scuffed up my fairing against the pump.
Luckily thats no longer a problem as I now have a whole new fairing for a different reason.....

Quick Reply: Hey Stupid! Put the kickstand down first!