Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Stupid! Put the kickstand down first!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM
bill63
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that back when I had my sporty. I think it's one of those lessons we have to learn the hard way!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

This is a bigger club than I thought! Not so embarrassed now! I did it on my Classic last summer. While waiting for somebody ahead of me to finish pumping, I shut it down & sat waiting. When it was my time at the pump, (still straddling) I just walked it forward & the kickstand came up! I leaned it over & it kept going, with me still on it, leaning against a gas pump. That was kinda cool. Good thing I had a few buddies there to lift it off!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

I've never done that. .....since that one time...

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
KACook
Advanced

I did it right in front of Deals Gap. Thought the stand was down and decided to get off the bike.

Felt Stupid, but no damage and lots of help getting it back up.

Glade to see I'm not the only one.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Ya got a ton of company that has done this. And bet some are afraid to admit it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Stopped to get gas and a smoking hot girl pulled up beside me with ***** hanging out everywhere and pants so tight that if she farted her shoes would fly off. said hello and leaned the bike over to go on the kickstand and over out went, all the way to the crash bars. Just picked it right up (adrenaline I guess) and started and drive away, no gas. Since then, kick goes down before engine stops

Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM
KWC6
Cruiser

I'm a 2 timer on this.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 AM
dusty6700
Cruiser

Haven't done it yet, but my wife almost took us down once. She must've really had to "GO". As soon as we stopped, she started climbing off. Now she doesn't get on or off till the stand is down! This bike is way heavier than the sporty we were so used to! Now i did take off once on my sporty with the stand down(still not sure why these bikes don't have a safety switch).

Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 AM
abbksb
Novice

Originally Posted by aviator
back in the late 70s, several of us rode bikes to work. me on a KZ 900, one on a Honda 350 and the shop drunk on his Honda 750. we'd ride up, slow down to almost a stop, then slam the kickstand down and let the bike tilt on to it. the 750 rider (who almost always came to work hungover or even drunk) would fly up, grab all the brakes he had, come to a stop and fall over. he'd forget the kickstand, sometimes once or twice a week. his bike was scratched up, beat up, dented, you name it. funny as hell.
This comment pretty much sums up the 70's better than anything I have ever seen!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
This is a bigger club than I thought! Not so embarrassed now! I did it on my Classic last summer. While waiting for somebody ahead of me to finish pumping, I shut it down & sat waiting. When it was my time at the pump, (still straddling) I just walked it forward & the kickstand came up! I leaned it over & it kept going, with me still on it, leaning against a gas pump. That was kinda cool. Good thing I had a few buddies there to lift it off!
After they stopped laughing?

Originally Posted by '05Train
Haven't done this yet, but I have pulled away from a gas pump with the stand still down. I got really lucky that someone saw it and started yelling, "STAND!" at me.

When I took my Advanced Rider Course, there was a young cocky girl bragging about all the risky speeds she ran her V Rod at, and how great a rider she was for going through past twisties. She took off on one of the exercises with her Jiffy down. I grimaced waiting for a disaster, even though I had read on the forum that the stand would pop up by itself,but I was dubious. But it did, and she rode off no problem. Even more cocky.

I dropped my Kawasaki Vulcan 750 after my first test drive, cause the kickstand doesn't snap out like on a Harley. So I always give the Jiffy a little nudge to make sure it is fully extended. And I always put the bike in fork lock, so I don't leave the ignition on. Sucks losing your mind, so you have to get good habits.

Quick Reply: Hey Stupid! Put the kickstand down first!