Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! I think I may have screwed up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Race57
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!! I think I may have screwed up!!!

Just not my day. I was changing my oil in my 2003 Road King. Don't know what I was thinking I pulled the plug from the crank case, book says it's no 15. A little oil came out then stopped. I thought I had removed the drain plug for the engine oil. I also changed the trans oil and the primary oil. Imagine my surprise when after dumping only two and a half quarts of oil in the filler tube it started running out all over the floor.. I then drained the oil using the correct drain plug (front left side on pan). I need to get more oil today to finish filling the oil to the right fill mark. (just a few quarts short for now) Big question is do I have to try to put oil back into the crankcase where the small plug is in the front case from or will it find its way there on its own.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

can't help with your oil issue.... I let someone else do that for me....

just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Race57
Just not my day. I was changing my oil in my 2003 Road King. Don't know what I was thinking I pulled the plug from the crank case, book says it's no 15. A little oil came out then stopped. I thought I had removed the drain plug for the engine oil. I also changed the trans oil and the primary oil. Imagine my surprise when after dumping only two and a half quarts of oil in the filler tube it started running out all over the floor.. I then drained the oil using the correct drain plug (front left side on pan). I need to get more oil today to finish filling the oil to the right fill mark. (just a few quarts short for now) Big question is do I have to try to put oil back into the crankcase where the small plug is in the front case from or will it find its way there on its own.
It'll find its way back. Don't sweat it. Just be sure to put the plug back properly. Not sure what torque. The plug is 3/8 NPT - i.e. tapered.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm glad you brought this topic up. i think the next time i change my oil, i'll clean up the plug and paint it yellow, at least the top of the hex head, and perhaps red for the trans. as i get older, i still refer to the service manual but it'd be an easy way to see what the heck i'm unscrewing when i change oil. brake parts cleaner should remove every bit of oil so the spray paint will stick, if not, no big loss, but it might make it easier.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm glad you brought this topic up. i think the next time i change my oil, i'll clean up the plug and paint it yellow, at least the top of the hex head, and perhaps red for the trans. as i get older, i still refer to the service manual but it'd be an easy way to see what the heck i'm unscrewing when i change oil. brake parts cleaner should remove every bit of oil so the spray paint will stick, if not, no big loss, but it might make it easier.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,244 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

No need to put any oil back in the crankcase. The less in there the better, the oil pump scavenges it out of there anyway. Be very careful not to over tighten the crankcase plug.

Kevin

Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

very careful indeed--- NPT means "National Pipe Thread" the threads are not even, they taper--- like plumbing pipe

If over tightened they will quickly and easily strip out--- then it becomes a matter of drilling and tapping ( cut threads) to the next size up.
( If you have to do this, you need to force grease into the tap ( cutting tool, it has grooves for this) before you start, that will catch the cut metal and hopefully allow you to keep the inside of the motor clean.)

To start the plug, get it in position, then rotate counter clockwise slowly, you will feel a "click" which means the threads are lined up and you can more easily start the plug into position

The threads should probably also be sealed so that they don't leak/seep and so that the plug doesn't come loose.

IF the head on the plug looks worn, like you might get it halfway in and the head strips, go get a new one before you start.

Should be easy, just take your time.

Almost everybody has dumped out the wrong hole one time or another.

mike

Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not worry about it at all. I would only put one more quart of oil in, then check it after starting it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

My manual says to never,never, ever remove this plug or the bike is done for! Funny how that plug and the oil drain plug look identical!

But like mkguitar said, just take your time and all will work out. Make sure you clean all that oil off the engine also or you'll look like James Bond going down the road.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
pappy42
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Almost everyone has an oil story. My best trick is starting to put the oil in with the drain plug not installed. That get's you "that" look from the old lady.

Quick Reply: Help!! I think I may have screwed up!!!