Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide ignition lock messed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
glider_6969
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question street glide ignition lock messed up

Hi all, new to this site.

I have a question if anyone can help, I took out the ignition lock to install a switch for my spot lights and I think it I have a problem. It went back together and I was able to lock it, and almost wasn't able to unlock it with out giving it a whole lot of struggle. Would something have gone out of alignment in the lock? Is there a way to get it back out now?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

glider; did you change the switch setting after it was removed..?? If not - should've gone back together same as removal. Is it still acting up, or just tough switching 1st try after re-assembly? If it's working fine - you're probably good (try all settings). If not - remove, realign & re-install...I used small screwdriver to change settings when ignition assy was off bike & other members made a tool out of copper tubing (either works). Good luck - you'll get 'er.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

if it is still tough do like mentioned above , I took a flat screw driver and a flash light remove the ignition switch , looked inside , turned the different chambers with the screw driver to align everything and reinstalled

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
hopperop
Banned

There are two things inside that have to be lined up, an upper and lower. don't know what they are called, but to unlock the steering after removing the ignition you only have to turn the top one, If that is what you did, then use a screw driver and align it with the bottom one. Next time use something long and flat and insert it all the way into the tube so you turn both at the same time. Just use a flashlight and take a look down the neck, you will see what everyone is talking about.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my off all the way and dont have those issues. That alignment tool is believe is for a 09 and later but i think they show it still in the O&M for some reason. That switch only moves in three positions and only goes back on one way.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My dealer took mine off when changing my bars and the first time I tried to lock it it wouldn't lock. He took it back off and said there's a part underneath the switch that if put on backwards it will install but wont lock.....don't know what the part is

Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
My dealer took mine off when changing my bars and the first time I tried to lock it it wouldn't lock. He took it back off and said there's a part underneath the switch that if put on backwards it will install but wont lock.....don't know what the part is

It's a plastic spacer under the nut ( its upside down) and thats what the OP's problem sounds like. Ask me how I know.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 PM
glider_6969
6th Gear

Thanks for all the help, I was able to take it apart again,made sure everything was lined up. It never was out of wack. There must be something up where the key goes in to turn, it doesn't seem to turn as easy as it should. Looks like the small tab on the key is getting caught abit. Next time it is in for service I will have to get it checked out, if warrantly covers it I get it replaced.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That plastic tab is pretty easy to break. That nut on top should just be hand tight. Mine was the same way after reassembled . It will be back to normal after a couple of uses..

Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Str33tgl1de
Cruiser

I'm not the only one then I need help hopefully someone will come thru and help me fix this or tell me what is wrong with this without having to take it to the dealer

Quick Reply: street glide ignition lock messed up