Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 CVO Ultra Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
nhcopley
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 CVO Ultra Engine Noise

I have a 2010 CVO Ultra. The engine sounds like there is a coffee can full of bolts rattling around in it (top end?). It is worse when it is hot. Two dealers say that this is normal. I am not convinced Has anyone else had a similar concern? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes.......I have a 2011 RKC with a 103, at 2800 miles the top end sounds like it has 100K on it. My lifters also bleed down periodically.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM
cyclemichael
Intermediate

My 2009 RKC sounded like that. The type of oil I used also affected it some. I just tried some Lucas oil additive for motorcycles and it quieted it down a lot. I can still hear some noise but nothing like it was. It no longer sounds like it is going to self destruct.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
txrarebear
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2011 FLTRUSE does the same thing...especially after a long ride and stopping for a drink or gas.
Start it back up and it rattles like crazy (sounds like it is mostly in the topend).

Using Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50 and still does it, Syn 3, still does it.
The dealer had it for over a week, couldn't replicate the rattling so It has been deterimined that .......here it comes, wait for it............it is normal for the 110 C.I. engines.

My other two 2010's don't do this and one of them has TW6-6 cams installed (of course they are both still 96").

I'll put as many miles on it as I can for the two years of the standard warranty and see how many more times it has to go to the shop.
If it has to go back too many more times, I'll just extend the warranty and ride it until the problem really presents itself.
What can you do really?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 AM
nhcopley
1st Gear

Thanks. Sounds like there are a few motors presenting the same problem. One of the technicians out ther said "Don't worry, it is still under warrantee." That is a reason to worry. It did cause me to throw $2K down the drain for an extended warrantee....

Harley Wins this round.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if this is your first Harley but, they all do make some top end noise. If you are a motor-head with knowledge on how to work on these engines, some noise can be lessened by shimming the the rocker shafts.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nhcopley
I have a 2010 CVO Ultra. The engine sounds like there is a coffee can full of bolts rattling around in it (top end?). It is worse when it is hot. Two dealers say that this is normal. I am not convinced Has anyone else had a similar concern? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Is the noise audible at all times or only when under load, i.e. when accelerating? We need to establish if this is valve-train noise or detonation.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
nhcopley
1st Gear

It is audible at all times. This is my third Harley (2000 Road King fuel injected, 2009 Ultra, and 2010 CVO Ultra). I have never had one that made noise like this. It does seem worse based on temperature and it lessens when under load.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running synthetic oil?? If so,try switching back to regular motor oil.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

It is audible at all times. This is my third Harley (2000 Road King fuel injected, 2009 Ultra, and 2010 CVO Ultra). I have never had one that made noise like this. It does seem worse based on temperature and it lessens when under load.
Analyzing noise via a forum is difficult, of course, but does it sound like it emanates from one cylinder? One valve or lifter? Or does it sound like all elements of the valvetrain are contributing equally to the bucket-of-bolts cacophony you're hearing.

You presumably have the factory cams installed, which are SE255, and if so they have a fairly high lift (.55") which would be inherently noisier than a 96 or 103" motor idling beside you, but I have these in my 96" bike and hear little or no more noise than the stock cams. Anyway, the 255's don't have a reputation for being noisy.

Some have complained about certain brands of oil causing increased valve-train noise, one that comes to mind being Amsoil, so perhaps changing oil brands would help. Searching this forum might yield info on this, although I don't recall hearing any overwhelming evidence or consensus that any one brand or type is a fix for valve-train noise.

I would run the noise by a tech not affiliated with your dealer, like an indy or another HD dealer, and get a second opinion on whether or not it is "normal" as your dealer claims. Of course you've ridden Harleys for some time, have ridden with many others on rides, and obviously know what they sound like in a normal context, so I'm not doubting that you have an abnormal noise. It's just that if you get a second-opinion you can use that for support should you move up the ladder to HD support on this issue. I would do that, as you have one of their exclusive flagship bikes and I'm sure they would jump to help you. I also feel sure they would have a service rep listen to it if requested.

Last edited by iclick; 08-23-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 CVO Ultra Engine Noise