Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift / Table

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help With Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift / Table

I've had a Harbor lift for a few years, but don't use it unless my oldest son happens to be around to help me. The problem I have is that when going up or back down the hinged rear of the lift, my short 29" inseam doesn't allow my feet to touch the ground and unless I've got some help, I'll turn right over (feet OFF the ground)! It almost happened once, but my son was there to grab the handlebars and kept me from falling over. Anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it?? Anything beats working off of the garage floor. Anyone have this problem and how did you resolve it?

Attached Thumbnails Need Help With Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift / Table-hf-lift.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can build a wood "frame" around the lift that is wide enough to provide you with the needed support for your inseam challenge.

Another which I will be doing when I expand my garage is I will create a recess in the floor for my lift so it sits flush with the floor when lowered

Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Pc PaiN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can honestly say I've never seen someone ride the bike onto a lift. Have you tried just pushing it up there?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I would build a small platform out of 2X4 and plywood about a foot wide and 8 ft. long for each side. You can move them once you get up on it. It really can be bad sinking feeling when you put your foot down and only catch air. Works same way when loading in trailer, just not as far to go before feet touch ground.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Thumbs down No!

Originally Posted by Pc PaiN
I can honestly say I've never seen someone ride the bike onto a lift. Have you tried just pushing it up there?
Pushing? Are you kidding me? UP the ramp and over 60 years old? Yeah, maybe 20+ years ago, but not now. No thanks... I'll ride up and slide it into my Baxley LA chock. Just got to be able to keep the feet on the ground when going up the ramp to the lift.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help With Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift / Table-latrailerchock.gif  

Last edited by dnitram; 08-21-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 63 and have pushed every touring bike made by HD on mine (understand not everyone is the same). Any reputable fab shop should be able to make you some wings made out of the same diamond plate, that clip on the sides

Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,140 Likes on 1,799 Posts

This is not my lift, I just ride mine up.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 23,151 Likes on 8,812 Posts

You might consider extending the ramp, i.e. a few 8 to 10 foot planks so it isn't so steep. That would allow you to keep your feet on the ramp.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
husky
Banned

Dawg is that a harbor freight lift?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dawg
This is not my lift, I just ride mine up.

Dawg,

First I thought the lift was just being taken out of the shipping box (foot controls not attached). Then after looking more carefully, it looks like the wooden sides are exactly what I need, but maybe make them longer? Also, it looks like the lift is now air operated. Now that would be a great conversion. Got any further information on the size wood and the conversion from the foot pump to air conversion? THANKS!

Quick Reply: Need Help With Harbor Freight Hydraulic Lift / Table