Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M 7.25 speaker 250W amp problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&M 7.25 speaker 250W amp problem

I just installed the 7.25 speakers and 250W amp in my 09 street glide. I love the sound but having problems with the amp not powering up sometimes when I start the bike. The face of the radio is showing power but no sound.If I turn the bike off and restart it the amp will power up. I rechecked all my connection just to make sure I did not miss something. I call J&M service and they said they have seen ths problem in the last couple of weeks. They suggested it wire tie the fuse into the holder to make sure it was not working loose. That was not the problem. Anyone else having this problem. They told me to give them 30 days to come up with an answer. I think they should just replace the amp. What else could it be???

Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I think they shoudl swap it out for you. Tell them it is a $450 piece of equipment and you want one that works. Is it grounded to the frame? Tell them Dr. V-twin sent you see if that changes their tune. I sell these for a great discount every day too.

Drew

Drew

Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

The power cord is grounded to the battery. The small ground wire is hooked the stock radio.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Ground it to the frame.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

You are right. The instructions say ground to the frame and I had it on the battery. Thanks I hope that was the problem. you the man

Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have found the main power connector from battery that connects to the amp was causing my problem .. also first amp j&m sent me the main power cables going into the amp would cause amp to cut out when i would ride through bumps... i cut the orginal power connector and replaced with a molex type , added di-electric grease and my problem was solved.. if the amp see's any disruption in voltage , ie green led on lamp will flicker thrn the amp goes i to protection mode and will shut down..only was to get amp on again is to cycle power off/on.. remove your fairing , play some tunes and wiggle around the power cables and see if you can make it cut off... also a pinched wire from battery to amp can cause intermittent problems... and of course a bad ground connection... hope this helps a little.. give john a call or email.. extinguish above possible issues and then have your amp replaced...
cheers...ride safe..

Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

I did not have any problems with cutting out once it was playing. I moved the ground form the battery to a 10 mm ground on the frame. Hope that was the problem.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

That did not fix the problem. I noticed when I start the bike you can hear a crack in the speakers. Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but when I don't hear the crack the radio works. It won't do it every time. Starting to become a pain in the butt

Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Call the shop and talk to Al whom is our audio technician. I have a feeling eh can help you get it sorted out.

Drew

Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser

Dr.
I called your shop today but Al was out so I had to talk to someone else. This guy felt I had a ground problem and suggested using the tank bolt under the seat for a ground. I don't had a problem trying anything but a friend of mine has the same system on a 06 street glide and I checked his ground and he has it on the battery. His system works great and has never cut off. I called J&M today and was told John was handling all these anp problems and I needed to email him and he would get back to me asap. I'm going to try another ground location and if this don't work i'm sending it back to J&M.

Quick Reply: J&M 7.25 speaker 250W amp problem