Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage I Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage I Question

My girlfriends father just got a used 09 SG and it was loaded with some goodies. The sales guy told him it had a stage I and I saw that it had the a/c and the se part used to tune it. After listening to it and going on rides with him I wondered why the slip-on's didn't sound louder. The sales guy told him today that the previous owner had after market slip-on's but put the stock slip-on's back on before he sold it. My question is will this be a problem being that he has stock slip-on's and the bike was tunned for another set of slip-on's? What options does he have? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you know what tuner they used ( power commander / race tuner or fuel PAC) the best thing to do is have the bike put on a dyno. But check if it has a fuel management system on it.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Scared
Intermediate

Is he not happy with the pipes? Sound? Power?
I suggest he get the pipes he wants and then research tuners.
If it had a power commander, I would think that would be easy to spot. It might simply have had a dealer download which might need to be redone if the pipes were later changed...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

They gave him the se box which is orange with a red button(don't know what its called) when he got the SG, so I assume he has one. Will it cause the scoot to run funny because of the stock slip-on's and not the aftermarket slip-on's which the stage I was intended for?

Originally Posted by stuart1270
Unless you know what tuner they used ( power commander / race tuner or fuel PAC) the best thing to do is have the bike put on a dyno. But check if it has a fuel management system on it.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

it should run just fine,it may be just a bit rich,but u never know who tuned it or if they used a canned mapp. for me i would go with it as long as it runs good and gets average milage.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

He is happy with the pipes, sh*t he is happy that he finally got his Harley. I have been parking my SG next to his Yamaha 650 (which he traded it in for) for the last 5 years. So, he would have to have a download for the stock pipes to make it work with the stage I then?

Originally Posted by Scared
Is he not happy with the pipes? Sound? Power?
I suggest he get the pipes he wants and then research tuners.
If it had a power commander, I would think that would be easy to spot. It might simply have had a dealer download which might need to be redone if the pipes were later changed...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...WOW!...that's kind of a cheezy thing for the prior owner to do...he probably got a new bike and decided he would re-use the slipon's from the old bike cause he like em and knew it would save him 3-4 hundred bucks...but he also knew that he was f*ckin up a perfectly good, tuned, stage 1...but who cares...he'll be long gone..right?....the answer to your question about "will it cause damage or anything"..probably not...but it won't run as good as it used to when the free-flowing mufflers were on it...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Just want to make sure that he doesn"t have any problems being that he has no warranty. I will have keep track of his gas

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
it should run just fine,it may be just a bit rich,but u never know who tuned it or if they used a canned mapp. for me i would go with it as long as it runs good and gets average milage.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride it...should be fine, maybe a little rich but heck it probably needs that anyway since they are lean to start with. If its not missing or having other problems that he can actually detect, Id ride the thing and enjoy it.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

That's what I said! It's not his problem anymore. I will pass the info on to him. He will eventually get some sound to it, but like I mentioned he is happy to finally have his "HARLEY" Thanks

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
...WOW!...that's kind of a cheezy thing for the prior owner to do...he probably got a new bike and decided he would re-use the slipon's from the old bike cause he like em and knew it would save him 3-4 hundred bucks...but he also knew that he was f*ckin up a perfectly good, tuned, stage 1...but who cares...he'll be long gone..right?....the answer to your question about "will it cause damage or anything"..probably not...but it won't run as good as it used to when the free-flowing mufflers were on it...