Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike right around the corner. Cant decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011 | 02:44 PM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser
Default New bike right around the corner. Cant decide

Hey guys,

I have been saving up my pennies for a little over a year now and am at the brink of a new scooter this year. I have narrowed my search down to the new 2012 Road King Standard or the 2012 Street Glide.
Last Friday I took several bikes out on test rides and decided at that point it was down to those two options. I really like the styling on the SG but for some reason I feel more nimble on the RK. I wish I could get one of each then this decision would be a done deal!

It appears that age is catching up with me because I NEVER would have put this much thought into a purchase in years past.

I really like to bat wing for protection in the hand area as here in SD I do get the chance to ride in October when the temps are around 50 to 60 but for some reason I feel like I am sitting "ON TOP" of the SG rather then "IN" it.... Not sure if that makes since to any one else??? I currently ride a 97 FLHTCI and have always felt like that bike was just made for me! Now on the other hand I really like the feel of the RK. It seems to handle the corners great and with the new 103 option they both have tons of power.

I just cant seem to figure out why side by side the RK and SG feel different??? When you do a bike comparison on HD's web site they are almost the same bike with a slight difference in seat hight. Could that be what I am feeling??? If it is would it be simply the lower rear end on the SG?

This is driving me bat s**t crazy! I am going to go back this week and take the SG and RK out for a little longer test ride and see if I can figure this out. I thought I had my heart set on the SG but after Friday I am leaning a bit towards the RK. I am planning on this being the last bike I get for a while and want to be completely happy with it.

Any way I guess I was just hoping that by posting this here there may be someone that has had similar experience and possibly someone that could tell me what I am feeling different between these two bikes?

Old 08-21-2011 | 04:19 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

The only thing I can offer is that when I was deciding, I rode a RK & a RK Classic. 2 buddies have Road Kings. Right off the get-go, on both of them, I noticed that this bike must've been made for somebody a little bigger than me, because I had to reach too far for the handlebars, and I just knew it wouldn't be comfortable. (I'm pretty average, by the way --- 5' 10" 190 lbs) I ended up with an 09 EG Classic. I knew as soon as I rode it ----it just "fit" if you get my drift. Don't know if the SG's the same way, but just see if you have to reach too far for the RK handlebars. Just my opinion.

Old 08-21-2011 | 04:34 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I was torn between the RK standard and the SG as well. No RK's were available at the time, and I finally settled on the SG, as I liked having the dash with all the guges and the stereo, and I wanted ABS and the power pak.

Looking back, I'm glad I got what I did.

So....I recommend the SG...but only if it has ABS and crusie control. all 2012's come with the 103 power pak now.

~Joe

Old 08-21-2011 | 04:44 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

I guess I'm the odd man out here...

I had 2 EGCs an '05 and '09 and then when purchasing my next bike, I wanted a RK or RKC. I'd had 2 SG "looking" bikes and just wanted something different. Yes, I know there's styling cues that are different between the EGC & SG, but I always made everything detachable on the EGC's and so the only difference was the ride height by 1".

I just grew tired of the Batwing and always loved the looks of the RK/RKC and so I went that route.

Even at 6 foot, I always felt on top of the EGC's and my buddy's '07 SG, but on the RKC, I'm in the bike. Love it.

My .02

Now I'm the proud owner of an '11 RKC.

Old 08-21-2011 | 04:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by jasontrucks76
Hey guys,

I have been saving up my pennies for a little over a year now and am at the brink of a new scooter this year. I have narrowed my search down to the new 2012 Road King Standard or the 2012 Street Glide.
Last Friday I took several bikes out on test rides and decided at that point it was down to those two options. I really like the styling on the SG but for some reason I feel more nimble on the RK. I wish I could get one of each then this decision would be a done deal!

It appears that age is catching up with me because I NEVER would have put this much thought into a purchase in years past.

I really like to bat wing for protection in the hand area as here in SD I do get the chance to ride in October when the temps are around 50 to 60 but for some reason I feel like I am sitting "ON TOP" of the SG rather then "IN" it.... Not sure if that makes since to any one else??? I currently ride a 97 FLHTCI and have always felt like that bike was just made for me! Now on the other hand I really like the feel of the RK. It seems to handle the corners great and with the new 103 option they both have tons of power.

I just cant seem to figure out why side by side the RK and SG feel different??? When you do a bike comparison on HD's web site they are almost the same bike with a slight difference in seat hight. Could that be what I am feeling??? If it is would it be simply the lower rear end on the SG?

This is driving me bat s**t crazy! I am going to go back this week and take the SG and RK out for a little longer test ride and see if I can figure this out. I thought I had my heart set on the SG but after Friday I am leaning a bit towards the RK. I am planning on this being the last bike I get for a while and want to be completely happy with it.

Any way I guess I was just hoping that by posting this here there may be someone that has had similar experience and possibly someone that could tell me what I am feeling different between these two bikes?
The rear shocks on a SG are on inch shorter than the RK. This means less suspension, different handling, rougher ride on the SG vs. the RK.

You can always put the RK shocks on the SG if that is the only thing you don't like as well.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-21-2011 | 05:01 PM
dedjr67
Road Master

I was torn between those two bikes also, I found that on the SG I felt unable to stretch my legs out but on the King I was comfortable I chose the Road King and love it if I feel the need for a Batwing fairing I can add one of many aftermarket ones.

Old 08-21-2011 | 05:36 PM
Scared
Intermediate

I have a RK and sometime wish I had the SG. I love the "naked" feel of the RK when I take the windshield off. I do want to lower it a half an inch but other than that I love it. You could get a removable bat wing for the RK as well if you wanted which I am considering.
I have rode in groups with a few SG guys that said they wish they had a RK so they could take the windshield off and get that extra airflow.

Old 08-21-2011 | 06:24 PM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser

Thank you for all the replies guys!

FYI, I am 6'2" and tipping the scales at 260#.... Man.... That was harder to type then I thought!

All great input! I guess the test ride next week is going to have to be the tell all. I am betting, (even though he has never shown it) my sales guy is thinking "what is this guy doing?" I have been working with him since May of this year... Black Hills Harley is really good to deal with IMO.

I have been looking at the after market bat wings as well. I guess you can have it all if you have the cash!

I will be sure to stop back in after the deal is done and let you all know how this turns out.

I am kind of curious to see what 2013 brings for the anniversary edition..... wouldn't a 110 year seem logical to have a 110ci motor? ;0)

Old 09-10-2011 | 09:20 AM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser
Default Pulled the trigger!

I am happy to report that as of Thursday the 8th I am the proud owner of a 2012 Street Glide! ;o)

I ended on this bike after several test rides and the only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner!

I had them install the Road King rear shocks that are a little taller and I feel terrific on this bike. (thank you for the idea Kevin)

My first few days riding this bike have been spectacular!!! The overall feel of the new frame and the 103" really put a smile on my face ;0) I have not felt this stable on a motorcycle since I was into rockets when I was 18ish. I seem to be pulling out to the front of the pack when riding with my friends through the hills and winding roads without even trying. Usually I was bringing up the rear because I just did not feel comfortable in the turns and always backed out of it. Not the case anymore!

I had the V&H high outputs installed, Heavy breather and tuner installed before I left the shop. First few hundred mile impression of the V&H's is good. They have a great low thump with no tin sound at all.

Thanks for the replies! Im headed out for a ride around devils tower today!!

Last edited by jasontrucks76; 09-10-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2011 | 09:42 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jasontrucks76
I am happy to report that as of Thursday the 8th I am the proud owner of a 2012 Street Glide! ;o)

I ended on this bike after several test rides and the only regret I have now is that I didn't do it sooner!

I had them install the Road King rear shocks that are a little taller and I feel terrific on this bike. (thank you for the idea Kevin)

My first few days riding this bike have been spectacular!!! The overall feel of the new frame and the 103" really put a smile on my face ;0) I have not felt this stable on a motorcycle since I was into rockets when I was 18ish. I seem to be pulling out to the front of the pack when riding with my friends through the hills and winding roads without even trying. Usually I was bringing up the rear because I just did not feel comfortable in the turns and always backed out of it. Not the case anymore!

I had the V&H high outputs installed, Heavy breather and tuner installed before I left the shop. First few hundred mile impression of the V&H's is good. They have a great low thump with no tin sound at all.

Thanks for the replies! Im headed out for a ride around devils tower today!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your new

Quick Reply: New bike right around the corner. Cant decide