Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike right around the corner. Cant decide

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011 | 08:36 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Congrats!

Funny, a friend that worked at a dealer for years told me this, and I agree:

You feel like you sit "in" a softail and "on" a touring bike.

I agree with my SG although it feels more "tossable" in the turns and doesn't "flop" like Deuce.

Originally Posted by traveler
I have the stock suspension on mine, and it rides very smooth....not sure where you guys are getting all this rough riding stuff.

Rough ride is a rigid with a springer fork and un sprung seat.

~Joe
Joe, my GF and feel the SG isn't quite as compliant as the Deuce over potholes/bumps, although the ride is definitely smoother and less vibration.

Old 09-10-2011 | 11:53 PM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser

I am trying to upload pics but it keeps saying "upload Fail"???

I have some good and bad news..... Good news is I kept the bike up and I am OK.

The bad news...... My new ride is F**KED!!! I had one of the best days I have had riding in a LOOOONG time today. I met up with a buddy in Sundance Wy and went to Devils tower, then to Newcastle Wy, Then to Hot Springs SD and then it happened.

Nice looking buck on a blind corner at dusk at 75 MPH..... You guessed it WAMMO!

on one hand Im so sad I could cry....... On the other hand I walked away mostly unharmed from a pretty major accident.

I hope like hell my insurance covers me on the new bike. I bought it Thursday afternoon and haven't hardly gotten off of it long enough to call my agent to update my policy to my new bike. I have purchased trucks over the years and they always say you have a grace period but I have never tested that so I am keeping my fingers crossed! I know the sherif didn't see it that way and was going to write me a ticket for proof of insurance.... I asked him if he would just chill and let me fax it in on Monday and not turn my bad night into a worse one by ticketing me... He let me go for now ;0)

Old 09-10-2011 | 11:57 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I have done that exact run twice in the last month.....bad luck for you.....hate to say it...but thank God it wasn't me...knowing my luck, I would have went down.

I'm sure insurance will take care of it.

How in the hell did you keep it up?

~Joe

Old 09-10-2011 | 11:57 PM
seiler1
Intermediate

Congratulations, you made a good choice

Old 09-11-2011 | 12:04 AM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser

Traveler,

I sent you a PM with a few more details.

How did I keep it up you say? By the grace of GOD!

It is amazing how you just instinctively react and maneuver in a split second. Only thing I know is He was keeping an eye on the area I was in today!

Old 09-11-2011 | 08:11 AM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser

Trying to upload a picture one more time.

These were B4 the dear.

Attached Thumbnails New bike right around the corner. Cant decide-photo-1.jpg   New bike right around the corner. Cant decide-photo.jpg   New bike right around the corner. Cant decide-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by jasontrucks76; 09-11-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2011 | 10:15 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jasontrucks76
I just cant seem to figure out why side by side the RK and SG feel different??? When you do a bike comparison on HD's web site they are almost the same bike with a slight difference in seat hight. Could that be what I am feeling??? If it is would it be simply the lower rear end on the SG?

jasontrucks76, there are a few distinctions which can make a noticeable difference in the fit and feel of each bike:
  • The SG fairing turns with the fork, which requires more effort than turning a windshield.
  • The SG handlebars have more pullback than the RK bars (and they may be more narrow, too).
  • The SG seat orients you further from the tank.
  • The SG rear shock is an inch shorter than the RK shock.
Having ridden both, I'm surprised that the choice was not obvious to you. You can swap out handlebars, seats and shocks, but you have t ochoose the style that "speaks" to you.

Before I bought my 2011 SG, I test rode an new SG, RK, RG and a 2009 EGC. I took a second test ride on the SG and RK. By that time, the SG was "speaking" to me. I took a third ride on the SG and that sealed the deal for me.

Ride them again and listen for that voice!

Oh, and you may want to edit your profile pic and attachments and rotate them!

Old 09-11-2011 | 03:05 PM
jasontrucks76
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
jasontrucks76, there are a few distinctions which can make a noticeable difference in the fit and feel of each bike:
  • The SG fairing turns with the fork, which requires more effort than turning a windshield.
  • The SG handlebars have more pullback than the RK bars (and they may be more narrow, too).
  • The SG seat orients you further from the tank.
  • The SG rear shock is an inch shorter than the RK shock.
Having ridden both, I'm surprised that the choice was not obvious to you. You can swap out handlebars, seats and shocks, but you have t ochoose the style that "speaks" to you.

Before I bought my 2011 SG, I test rode an new SG, RK, RG and a 2009 EGC. I took a second test ride on the SG and RK. By that time, the SG was "speaking" to me. I took a third ride on the SG and that sealed the deal for me.

Ride them again and listen for that voice!

Oh, and you may want to edit your profile pic and attachments and rotate them!

Thanks Fender.

If you read the post you will see that I did in fact buy the SG.

Thank you for trying to help out tho!

I got the Avatar fixed but the uploads are just going to have to do.

Last edited by jasontrucks76; 09-11-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2011 | 03:29 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

I have been involved with both motorcycles and women for the last 50 odd years. There are a lot of similarities in the two, believe me. Before you hook up with either, do yourself a huge favor and get some experience with both before you walk down the aisle or write that check. For the most part you are going to have to live with your decision for a long time. If you don't try out all of the alternatives, you will constantly be second guessing yourself. At the dealership, sit on as many bikes as it takes to find one that is the right height and shoulder reach. It is easier to do that in the showroom because they have so many to choose from. Once you start to make your decision, take them out on the road to see how they ride. The salesman's job is to sell you something. Your job is to buy something that is right for you before you take it home. Whether it is women or bikes, be careful in what you choose. Do your due diligence and you will have a much more enjoyable life.