Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At wits end!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Very true, but at this point the big dilemma is how is he getting FUEL in the crankcase/oil? Any ideas?
It's like you said. The only way is past the rings, indicating an overly rich condition. It could be fuel problems with the bike itself but the Op himself said: "the last effort has resulted in gas in the oil...." I think a different tuner should check out the map.

Gas can get past the rings with no problem if there's enough of it.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:36 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Very true, but at this point the big dilemma is how is he getting FUEL in the crankcase/oil? Any ideas?
this really a no brainer....the rings are worn allowing blow by causing gas in the oil, maybe worn valve guides also..also the compression may be down because of the blow by ...the lowered gas mileage is combination of blow by and riding the **** out of the bike...just my take on it....I would do a compression test both hot and cold and add some oil to the cylinder to see if the compression goes up...this is just my take from the description of the symptoms.....

Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
this really a no brainer....the rings are worn allowing blow by causing gas in the oil, maybe worn valve guides also..also the compression may be down because of the blow by ...the lowered gas mileage is combination of blow by and riding the **** out of the bike...just my take on it....I would do a compression test both hot and cold and add some oil to the cylinder to see if the compression goes up...this is just my take from the description of the symptoms.....
Thanks, that was my first thought - rings. He rides it hard by admission, so that's the likely culprit here, then a combined set of issues that result in poor mileage, etc.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So in this case would his plugs show any indications? Tailpipe sooty or unusually black with so much fuel?

OP: do you smell fuel when standing behind the bike while it runs?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 664 Likes on 529 Posts

i have seen a tune cause gas in the oil,it was caused by a dyNO operator setting the decel way too rich to try and control decel pop.turned out the pop was a exhuast leak,but after a long decel with clutch out enough raw fuel went in and washed down the cylinders.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of guys come into the local dyno shop complaining about gas mileage and when the dyno tech takes the bike out and checks gas mileage, the bikes always get good mileage. 9.5 times out of 10, the owner has been riding them hard and expecting cruising fuel mileage. Wouldn't it be great if it worked that way?
Like some of the others, I am a little bumfuzzled on how your fuel management system is putting gas into your oil if you don't have a ring problem.

Last edited by HalfFast; 08-21-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It could very well be a bad unit. That is why I don't like the piggyback units. A buddy of mine had a PCIII go bad causing it to dump gas like you described washing down his cylinders and long story short he had to redo his top end.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

how many miles are on the 09 motor?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:21 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfFast
Like some of the others, I am a little bumfuzzled on how your fuel management system is putting gas into your oil if you don't have a ring problem.
The rings aren't designed to stop something as thin as gas from getting to the oil. There's not supposed to be unburned fuel after combustion.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was never able to get good mileage using a PC on my last 2 bikes. Not being a tuning expert, I always had the bikes dyno tuned. My last bike I had tuned twice by two separate tuners, still mileage was low. This bike I decided to go without a piggyback system and went with the SEPST (tuned by the dealer). I now consistently get between 43-48 MPG. I still ride the same and believe me, I don't baby my scoot when I ride it. Again not an expert, just my experience.

Quick Reply: At wits end!!