Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At wits end!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 801 Likes on 358 Posts

Remember, when going for more power you are going to lose fuel economy, I would get a whole different fuel managemant set-up, should work with what you have. Ride hard and ride safe!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm using XIEDS- with good result. cost you about $125, plug right in and done.

09, hi flow air cleaner and slip ons. touring I am at about 44 mpg, loaded and running 65 70 most of the time

I use the XIEDS to compensate for the increased flow into and out of the motor. Mild power increase not "performance"

------------ I have seen what you describe on other bikes with PC V, overly rich, poor mpg, sooty exhaust. That's why I don't use.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-21-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having so many difficulties. I'd like a lil more info on what you've done though before we give up. Jaimie may still be able to send you a new Unit or get this straightened out.

You dont say what it is you're expecting from the bike when you say it's not doing the job. Is it that you can't get above 37 mpg? Not sure what you mean so if you can clarify that... The "average" mpg's for these bikes varies from probably 36 to 42 mpg depending on how you ride it, local fuel blends, tune, etc.

How was the bike set up prior to it's current build? Was it stock? Did you have any downloads from H-D flashed into the ECM?

More details about gas in the oil please? Describe what happened, etc and lets see if the collective genious of this site can get you where you want to be.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Crewdog151
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Sorry to hear you're having so many difficulties. I'd like a lil more info on what you've done though before we give up. Jaimie may still be able to send you a new Unit or get this straightened out.

You dont say what it is you're expecting from the bike when you say it's not doing the job. Is it that you can't get above 37 mpg? Not sure what you mean so if you can clarify that... The "average" mpg's for these bikes varies from probably 36 to 42 mpg depending on how you ride it, local fuel blends, tune, etc.

How was the bike set up prior to it's current build? Was it stock? Did you have any downloads from H-D flashed into the ECM?

More details about gas in the oil please? Describe what happened, etc and lets see if the collective genious of this site can get you where you want to be.
Ok, in the beginning I had a spark knock, Jamey sent another map that cleared that up...Fuel mileage was concerning me because I was told if it gets too low I risk fuel in oil. After 2 dyno sessions and several maps by different tuners (with varied results) I was still getting poor mpg, strange idling and gas odor... I did my normal pre trip yesterday before going on long ride and immediately smelled gas when pulling stick. and oil was thin. (110 miles on fresh Mobile 1) Called HD followed their instructions and noticed the top end was noisier than usual, dumped oil just a few moments ago and sure enough its contaminated. Again, No hard feelings toward fuel moto at all! just simply wanted a "stage one" set up that was worry free (like that exists) and this set up isn't doing that for me.... As a result I've lost all confidence in PCV and will probably go with fuel pack or something similar.

Disclaimer: This is my first EFI bike, and I've put 48k miles on it since I bought it and I ride it HARD. But based on local Pro opinions here in ATL I definitively have a fuel mgt problem... But again, All opinions are welcome and valid in my mind, and Jamey and the guys at Fuel Moto have been nothing but helpful so I'm not at all placing any blame here... Thanks for the help, RB

Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, now that gives a little more to work with. Was the bike stock prior to you setting it up as it is now? If not did you have the ECM flashed with a download from H-D?

Gas in the oil can only get there past the piston rings to my knowledge. Could you have a damaged ring letting fuel down into the crankcase? Otherwise I dont see how it could get there. And fuel dilutes the oil so dont even ride it if you have fuel in the oil cuz you'll fry the motor.

Send a PM to "dawg" here on the site and ask him to look at this thread, I've always found his input to be excellent.

You ride the bike hard you say, so the piston ring isn't impossible and at 48k that's low mileage but maybe a ring(s) gave out on you.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Crewdog151
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
OK, now that gives a little more to work with. Was the bike stock prior to you setting it up as it is now? If not did you have the ECM flashed with a download from H-D?

Gas in the oil can only get there past the piston rings to my knowledge. Could you have a damaged ring letting fuel down into the crankcase? Otherwise I dont see how it could get there. And fuel dilutes the oil so dont even ride it if you have fuel in the oil cuz you'll fry the motor.

Send a PM to "dawg" here on the site and ask him to look at this thread, I've always found his input to be excellent.

You ride the bike hard you say, so the piston ring isn't impossible and at 48k that's low mileage but maybe a ring(s) gave out on you.
Yes, it was stock, no downloads from HD. Im getting no smoking at all so not sure its the rings. Thanks

Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never bothered with fuel mileage on my bike but I know when I ride hard, it's for sure not going to get mileage at the top of the MPG range.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by vickers1
I've never bothered with fuel mileage on my bike but I know when I ride hard, it's for sure not going to get mileage at the top of the MPG range.
Very true, but at this point the big dilemma is how is he getting FUEL in the crankcase/oil? Any ideas?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Crewdog,

What's your riding style and under what conditions? City? Open road? mix of both or percentage of which compared to the other? You said you ride hard, is that all the time? If so then 37 mpg isn't too surprising at all.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 09 streetglide has consistently averaged 37.5 mpg since day 1. I don't see a problem with your 37 mpg but maybe I'm missing something.

Quick Reply: At wits end!!