Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well It Has Happened......

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:16 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Well It Has Happened......

About a month ago my girlfriend and I were at the local HD dealer. She saw a used Nightster with really low miles that she really liked. She talked to the sales guy while I was in the parts dept drooling on stuff and hit me with this info on the way home. My reply was "Well, I know you've wanted to ride for a long time, but their price is too high on the bike and I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be controlling, but the only way I will let you ride is if you take the MSF class and get your license first." She agreed and we viewed it as "something to work towards".

Well 2 days later the sales guy called back and threw a pretty good price at her. She called me and REALLY wanted the bike. I talked to him and told him it was still too high. Hell, I had nothing to lose, right??

Well the bastard came in with an out the door price that there was NO WAY I could turn it down. I'm not even sure how they made money on the deal. So, I rode the bike home thinking she would lose interest and I would sell it and make a little money, right? Wrong.

She enrolled in the MSF course immediately and took it last weekend. She passed with flying colors!! She came straight home, made her DMV appointment for her license. Thursday she took that test and passed with flying colors too! I'm thinking "Oh sh*t, I'm in deep here. I have created a monster!"

So all week I've been riding the bike to the local college and letting her ride it around the parking lot for a while. Getting used to the power, the shifting, the WEIGHT of the bike. Teaching her the things I do and why and letting her practice the things she learned in her class. 2 of the instructors even showed up and worked with her a little bit too!! Very cool guys!!!

Well today it happened. I got to ride on the road with the love of my life! She did absolutely wonderful!! We did 40 miles locally staying off the freeways. She handled everything very well!!

I gotta tell you, it was awesome to have her pull up next to me at a red light with a grin that spread ear to ear, but I was definitely nervous watching her in my mirrors. I kept asking her if she wanted to lead and she kept turning me down. The more we rode together, the wider her grin got!!

So it has happened!! She has taken another item off her "bucket list" and I have added my best friend as a riding partner!! Now her list of "customizing" her bike has consumed ALL of our conversations!! LOL!!

Pretty cool, eh??

Old 08-20-2011, 11:26 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a lucky man, congrats.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Litl D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats - Simply nothing wrong with that.

Have a similar story: Bride and I both had scooters back 15 years ago, and we enjoyed that a whole lot more than riding two up. After a few years following other interests, we're now both back riding again. But with a three year old, it's normally she rides while I watch the little one, or the other way around. I simply can't wait for the babe to grow enough to reach my passenger pegs, so we can all ride together.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife wanted to ride. I found her a 2003 purple Sporty for $2995 on Ebay (reserve barely met). She took the MSF and did great. We rode the whole summer together and really enjoyed the time on the road together. The next season, some jackass in a minivan yacking on his cell phone t-boned her into the woods at a T- intersection on her way home from work. It broke her face up, compound fractures in her arm. Helicopter ride to trauma center after volly ambulance service took her to a butcher shop E.R. in the boondocks. 2 years and several surgeries and skin grafts later she bought another bike as the purple sporty was totalled. She is back on the road, wearing a bright orange Harley kevlar jacket, chaps, full face helmet. She loves riding, I don't know how I feel about it, but it is her choice. I guess the point is, bad things can happen and it can take a strong relationship to get through things. It is tough to watch your wife in the hospital afer a bad wreck, you wish you could trade places with her. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceFace
2 of the instructors even showed up and worked with her a little bit too!!
It's gotta be said.....

Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool...congrats!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Motorbones
Road Master

Way to go!!!! My wife is strictly a passenger, but we love riding together. It adds a real spiritual aspect to the marriage. May the two of you have many happy hours on the road together...

Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Good for both of you! That's awesome news. Ride Safe.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Smile

I know the feeling!!! I owned an used Kaw, my GF wanted to ride her own bike so bad she learned on that for 2500 miles before begging me to buy her a Harley.

Attached Thumbnails Well It Has Happened......-charli-rides-1jpeg.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great, congrats! Must be a great feeling.

I'm curious though, what test did she have to take at DMV if she took the MSF basic rider class? Here in VT if you take the MSF basic rider class and pass their written and practical at the end of the last day of class the state gives you your endorsement without any further testing.

Quick Reply: Well It Has Happened......