Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I thought I had a honest dealer BUT......

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011 | 01:00 PM
Rick Lees
|
Road Captain
Default Well I thought I had a honest dealer BUT......

Been reading most post on new bars.........wild1575 are what I think I want just haven't seen them up close to make up my mind.... Went to the dealer to just look around their having a tent sale .....just for shitz I asked the service manager what labor on 2 up and 2 in bars...... wait for it ....wait for it 10 hours labor said the abs has to be drained down and all wires have to be lengthened .
Man. I told the indy that will be doing the job and he just shook his head..... no bleed down or lenghtening needed 240.00 bucks labor. 217.00 for the bars. Sometimes it sucks to read some stuff on here but a lot of it is starting to become fact about dealers.
All you guys that have the 575's does the fact that their wider make a big difference?

Old 08-20-2011 | 01:06 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

what's dishonest with that? they told you what they charge for the job. the time and "required" work needed comes from a shop book. Harley's repair book most likely calls for the ABS to be bled down and the cables and wires lengthened. your indy just figured out a way to beat the that.

now - if the dealer had told you 2 hours, then when you went to pick it up, slapped the other 8 hours on the ticket - that would be dishonest.

Old 08-20-2011 | 01:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

....and the Dealer has to look at "estabished practices" from a liability point of view.

The Indy, should the bars come off in your hands or the brakes not work can say "uh, I didn't know"

- where as the dealer has been given instructions on what needs to be done to make the vehicle safe as intended by the manufacturer.

not taking sides, but...

and in your shoes I'd be at the Indy too ( assuming that he does know what he's doing)

ps in terms of lengthening cables- 2 posts here in the last while of clutch cables snagging and causing problems - make sure all that stuff is right before you ride

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2011 | 01:29 PM
rmc115
Road Master

The dealer just didn't want the job and if you said ok, they would make money. Custom jobs are easy to lose money if you have not done it before. Mike

Old 08-20-2011 | 01:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lees
honest dealer
ox·y·mo·ron/ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
Noun: A figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction

Old 08-20-2011 | 02:50 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

I agree that the dealer didn't really sound dishonest. They can charge whatever they like. If indeed the Harley book calls for 10 hours, they should bill for 10 hours.

I worked in the automotive aftermarket for many, many years. If someone came in and wanted a service done, we charged him by the Chilton Service Manual. If a job called for 10 hours, we billed him for 10 hours. If we had a mechanic that could do the job in 6 hours, we still billed 10 hours because we billed by the book.

If the mechanic ran into a snag and it took him 14 hours, we still only billed for 10. We quoted 10 and that's what we billed, irregardless of who ended up with the short stick.

So, suffice it to say, that it sometimes pays to check around to get the best price.

Are there dealers who screw people? Absolutely. Are there good dealers? Absolutely. It pays to be an informed shopper.

Old 08-20-2011 | 03:15 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rick Lees
Been reading most post on new bars.........wild1575 are what I think I want just haven't seen them up close to make up my mind.... Went to the dealer to just look around their having a tent sale .....just for shitz I asked the service manager what labor on 2 up and 2 in bars...... wait for it ....wait for it 10 hours labor said the abs has to be drained down and all wires have to be lengthened .
Man. I told the indy that will be doing the job and he just shook his head..... no bleed down or lenghtening needed 240.00 bucks labor. 217.00 for the bars. Sometimes it sucks to read some stuff on here but a lot of it is starting to become fact about dealers.
All you guys that have the 575's does the fact that their wider make a big difference?
I got a quote from a dealer to put on 12 inch apes on my 2006 FLHX. New cluch & throttle cables , brake line, and internally run wires. Quoted 4 hrs.

Still gonna do it myself this winter, was curious on what they would charge. $300.
But like another poster stated, not a rip off unless I had them do the work and they charged me for 8 hrs.

Old 08-20-2011 | 03:30 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

I put the Wild 1 575 on myself and only needed clutch cable. I might have been able to get by with a +2 but many comments on this site recommended a +4. That is what I did. If you were to route the wiring in the original positions and original clips to the fairing, you would need to extend the various wires, but I rearranged them, like many others, used a bunch of wire ties to secure the wires, and didn't extend any wires. Brake lines fit just fine and no binding or even a hint of binding.

The extra width is fine with me. It helps keep your wrist angles at a comfortable position, at least for me it did and I have an old wrist injury with limited right wrist mobility. I am very happy with mine and the increased comfort in the seat. The mustang Low-down is not so pushed forward now that I can sit back more. Do a search and you will find other comments I made and others too..

Old 08-20-2011 | 04:47 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

A dealer can certainly be expensive yet honest.

Old 08-20-2011 | 05:06 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Not unusual from what I've seen for a dealer to charge 6-8 hours labor for bar change including cables on an EG. For your indy to charge $240 labor is a steal imho.

Quick Reply: Well I thought I had a honest dealer BUT......