Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I thought I had a honest dealer BUT......

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011 | 07:54 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

bottom line, dealers that don't know what they are doing with use the book to figure out what they COULD charge. You can get very creative putting together a price list using the book, if you never done it before.

Old 08-20-2011 | 08:25 PM
m361
Tourer

I've got WO575's that I installed myself, with the help of info I found on this forum and a service manual of course. I had never attempted to change bars before. I have an '08 SG and didn't have to go with longer cables. Only thing is that I had to route the clutch cable outside of the fairing, but it works perfect and is much less work. I think it took me about 4 hrs total...which I figure is not bad at all for having no help. I'll attach a photo of my stock SG bars vs WO575's. Not sure how good the quality of the picture will be.

I love my 575's. Much more comfortable and not so drastically different in appearance to the stock bars. I did make an adjustment to my fairing mirrors. Some people just switch to bar mounted mirrors. I like my fairing mirrors so I just moved them up a little.

Attached Thumbnails Well I thought I had a honest dealer BUT......-wo575-s.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011 | 10:03 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

the extra width felt a little unerving at first,took a few miles to get used to it,now i love em and wont go back.they change the feel of cornering much lighter due to the extra leverage.

Old 08-20-2011 | 10:52 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

I found that dealers will charge what they can get; here in Vegas its like "bend over and take it" while a hundred miles away in Kingman they charge half. Bars installed on my bike in Kingman including a new clutch cable was about $525; they wanted twice that here in Vegas. Service too: $650 for a 20k in Vegas, $335 in Kingman.

Old 08-20-2011 | 11:13 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Just another dealer bash post.

The dealer has prob heard that question so many times, and the indy can always beat it.

Good luck and I have read many more indy f ups on this board

Old 08-20-2011 | 11:16 PM
Twrguy
Cruiser
Default Are you kidding???

So if someone tells you they're gonna screw you up front that makes them honest..?? 10 Hours to change bars, run new cables and bleed brakes if freakin' ridiculous!! What's more ridiculous is that there are plenty of people willing to pay it!!!! That's the only reason the dealerships even attempt to get away with it! I like Harleys, but sadly most dealerships SUCK! They thrive on the fact that many folks don't have the knowledge, tools, or simply the desire to work on their own bikes, and novice rider/owners just too often rely on the "expert" advise they get from the "Harley Guys" where they purchased their bike. That's what makes this Forum GREAT!!! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!!

Old 08-21-2011 | 10:16 AM
Rick Lees
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rick Lees
Been reading most post on new bars.........wild1575 are what I think I want just haven't seen them up close to make up my mind.... Went to the dealer to just look around their having a tent sale .....just for shitz I asked the service manager what labor on 2 up and 2 in bars...... wait for it ....wait for it 10 hours labor said the abs has to be drained down and all wires have to be lengthened .
Man. I told the indy that will be doing the job and he just shook his head..... no bleed down or lenghtening needed 240.00 bucks labor. 217.00 for the bars. Sometimes it sucks to read some stuff on here but a lot of it is starting to become fact about dealers.
All you guys that have the 575's does the fact that their wider make a big difference?
I have had nothing but good to say about where I bought my Scoot my wording might have not been quite right the shock just hit me that they wanted a 1000 dollars to replace bars on a bike not counting parts...... So don't label me a basher...... it would of been nice if they would of explained more. I had already gotten a price from an indy closer to me that has had good things said about them. I already questioned the indy about the difference in routing
the wires,clutch and bleeding the brakes and he stands by his work 100 % so he says....... I still haven't made up my mind to do anything hell if I had somebody around that has done it I would try it my self but every time i do something I'm not familiar with it cost me three times the money to learn. You want you furnace or A/C fixed I'm the one to do it. Took me twenty years to learn this field and I get to keep up with the new technology. The bike's a different story