Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 limited boom amp problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 AM
cchauler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 limited boom amp problem

Have a 2011 limited. Wasn't really satisfied with the stock audio. Bought the boom speakers and amp. Installed speakers, good improvement. Installed the amp. Turn on the stereo - - Nothing. Spent $400.00........Only took me two hours to install since ya have to tear half the bike apart. I can say the instructions leave something to be desired. The only part I am not sure of is the two wires that go to the radio up inside the fairing. Instructions say go to the harrass labeled interconnect and plug in 6a or 6b holes 4 and 5. Granted I'm no rocket scientist but I think I am competent to install a amp. After much searching I find one plug that has open holes 4/5 and plug the wires in. Turn on the radio............Yip not a thing. Look in my service manual for a wiring view. none that help me. Anyone buy and install one of these??? Dealer says it's a electrical part no return.........................

Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hijack your thread but your dealers talking B####cks i know you ain't me but my **** would be right back there wanting my money back and then F##k that dealer you got lots more in America to choose from! ....

Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
Sorry to hijack your thread but your dealers talking B####cks i know you ain't me but my **** would be right back there wanting my money back and then F##k that dealer you got lots more in America to choose from! ....
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

PM me your e-mail address. I have a few wiring diagrams that I was able to scan for you.

Last edited by SpiderPig; 08-21-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try the last part dealer says (NO RETURN) .... is that easier to grasp

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 08-20-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM
niinjoosum
Advanced

I have a 2011 Limited as well and put in the tour pack kit. Ran into the same issue with the 4 and 5 plug and end with the same solution with the white plugs. However like you once done the speakers did not work with the amp. Disconnect the speaker wire which lead to the amp and just using the radio for now. The instructions are some what limited so off to the dealer it goes for finishing. I heard it could just be asoftware download.
The only thing I could make no sense of was the 6A and 6B connectors. Oh well Ill letthe dealer figure it out unless some one whats to share who had it work.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by cchauler
The only part I am not sure of is the two wires that go to the radio up inside the fairing. Instructions say go to the harrass labeled interconnect and plug in 6a or 6b holes 4 and 5. Granted I'm no rocket scientist but I think I am competent to install a amp. After much searching I find one plug that has open holes 4/5 and plug the wires in. Turn on the radio............Yip not a thing. Look in my service manual for a wiring view. none that help me. Anyone buy and install one of these??? Dealer says it's a electrical part no return.........................
Originally Posted by niinjoosum
I have a 2011 Limited as well and put in the tour pack kit. Ran into the same issue with the 4 and 5 plug and end with the same solution with the white plugs. The only thing I could make no sense of was the 6A and 6B connectors. Oh well Ill letthe dealer figure it out unless some one whats to share who had it work.
Near the top of the installation instructions is a "J" number: JXXXXX; the letter J followed by five digits. If you provide it I can get the installation instructions from HD's website.

I'm asking for the installation instructions because they may not tell you how to install the two wires in the connector. Those two wires are CAN + and - which "tell" the HK radio that you have an amp installed which, among other things, will now control the fader control. Oftentimes, folks don't install wires correctly in the connectors; for example, very common problem for folks installing the Ipod or Nim modules which also require wires to be installed in connectors.

So post the "J" number and I'll see if I can help you guys.

Carl

Old 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM
cchauler
Novice

All wires are connected properly...........................me thinks the amp is junk. @#$% the parts guy. It's coming out today and I'll be talking to the owner monday.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

cchauler,

Perhaps the amp is the problem, but that's the same amp used on the CVO Utras for the last two years and it hasn't had a record of failure.

Also, you would be one of many DIY'ers who were convinced they'd installed wires correctly in a HD connector only to discover they had't.

If you can setaside your justifiable frustration, post the J number near the top of page 1 of the instruction sheet.

Thanks.

Carl

Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 PM
cchauler
Novice

Said enough is enough.............amp was wired correctly. Tore it out, talked to the owner got my dollars back............................

Quick Reply: 2011 limited boom amp problem