Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand the differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011 | 04:47 PM
Hot Rod King
|
Tourer
Default Help me understand the differences

ok, been looking at Electra glides for a touring bike in the near future but during my searches Ive seen Street Glides and Road Glides. What are the differences between these bikes ? Trying to understand whats what and see what the better choice is for the 10k I plan to spend.

Old 08-19-2011 | 04:57 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

One of the MANY things that came up when I searched on "Differences between street glide and road glide".

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6064930_di...eet-glide.html

Chuck

Old 08-19-2011 | 05:03 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

..Hi, welcome..the Electra Glide, Street Glide, and Road Glide are all variations of the basic Touring Frame and Motor. So the Electra Glide has 3 variations up until 1 year ago when they dropped one of the models(Standard). The E-Glide Standard, the E-Glide Classic, and the E-Glide Ultra Classic. The Standard came without the Tour-Pak on back, without a radio, and with the unpainted motor. The E-Glide Classic has the Tour-Pak, a Radio, and the painted black and chrome motor. The E-Glide Ultra Classic has all that and rear speakers, a CB-Intercom in the radio, Cruise control, and probably a few other doo-dads. The Road Glide has one big difference that some love, some hate. The front fairing is stream lined, has 2 headlights, and most importantly(or different), the fairing is bolted to the frame, and NOT to the front fork assembly. That means that when you turn the handlebars the fairing does not move, it stays straight. Hope that helps... OH...and the Street Glide is like a stripped down version of the Electra Glide Classic..WITHOUT the Tour-Pak, it is lowered in the back one inch, and has small turn signals, lots of chrome, and is the "cool one" in the family...

Last edited by jmacdonald5; 08-19-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-19-2011 | 05:06 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Street Glide is kind of a sporty Electra Glide, no passing lamps or tour pack, different seat and 1" lower shocks = stiffer ride, those are the main differences. The Road Glide and other two SG and EGC share the same frame, except the RG has a frame mounted fairing instead of fork mounted, you really have to ride to determine which one is for you. Also you may like a certain style more tha another, if you ride two up, the RGU or EGCU will be your best bet.

Old 08-19-2011 | 05:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

aside from what ehow says, what it means to the rider is:

The road glide ("sharknose") fairing is frame mounted, more aerodynamic. when hit by wind gusts the motorcycle will tend to lean into them.
the rider may experience more wind/weather hitting them. the radio and gauges are "way out front"
The FLT family of bikes uses this fairing

the street glide ( and Ultra and Classic) "batwing" fairing is not very aerodynamic, but has become recognized as a traditional H-D look. the radio and gauges are close, the rider can "tuck" into the windscreen in crap weather, and in my experience is not as affected by wind/rain.
the fairing is mounted to the forks.
wind gusts which move the fairings, therefore turn into steering input-- the fairing also "unloads" or reduces weight and traction to the front tire at high speeds ( above 85- the higher the speed, the more the effect)
the FLH family of bikes uses this fairing

same year model bikes will share drivetrain. frame, suspension ( as noted above some variations may be lowered in the rear)--- and when you get to used bikes, previous owners may have changed even more stuff.

pluses and minuses either way- I suggest you find out when the H-D demo truck is coming to your area, you can ride different models of bike back top back and see what you like ( and don't)

Me, I keep leaning to the FLT's ( and have hundreds of miles on them), but keep buying the FLH's

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-19-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2011 | 06:01 PM
binkman78
Club Member

There's a reason for the name "ULTRA" Classic

Old 08-19-2011 | 06:09 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Old 08-19-2011 | 06:18 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

The Ultra Classic FLHTCUI has some things extra you might , or might not want:

lowers
cruise control
CB/Intercom
Extra lights on Tour Pack

For 10k you will be looking at '99-2004 probably. I thought you get the biggest bang for the buck with the FLHTCUI, and it is a good time to be a buyer, now.

Last edited by Ron750; 08-20-2011 at 04:19 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 08-19-2011 | 10:58 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

02-05 is some of the better year bikes in or close to your price.

Old 08-20-2011 | 07:44 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

You are not going to find a Street glide for 10 k as 06 was the first year for them and folks are proud of them. Don't forget to give the Road King a nod. Lots of great Road Kings out there that need a loving home.

Quick Reply: Help me understand the differences