Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD LED Light - Lack of Daytime Brightness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD LED Light - Lack of Daytime Brightness?

Hey All..

I bought a HD LED headlight for my RK.. It's currently getting a lot of work done to it at my indy, so I haven't really been able to try it out. However, I'm hearing a lot of people LOVE it's capability at night, but reporting that during the day, the light is almost non existent.

I talked to someone and they said "Well, the purpose is to give you light at night, not the day." However, I think for a bike, we want as much visibility during the day as possible. I'm a little concerned.

What are your thoughts. Those that decided against it, and those that have it and are happy/not concerned with daytime running effectiveness.

Also, what other similar options are there, and your experiences/thoughts on them?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode with two friends this past weekend. One was on an Ultra Limited with the HD LED head and aux lights. I was on my UC with stock lighting. Our other friend told me that he could see my bike much better than the Limited with LEDs. He said the light "disc" on my headlamp was so much bigger than the LED light, it made my bike way easier to pick out of the background. I've been wanting to install the LEDs on mine because I ride a bad two-lane road in to work before dawn most days but that comment has me reconsidering.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
07DDreamHD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HD LED headlamp and HD LED passing lamps on my SG. My friends tell me that my bike is much more visible now than before with the stock lamps during the daylight hours. Of course at night there is no comparison.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I have the 3 HD LED light set up and the front fender LED running light and everybody say they know when I'm coming even during daytime.At night visibility is awesome.But then it's only a matter of preference,a forum member-Bogiediver- did a wonderful comparison job.Search for it and then decide.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Beach
Advanced

I have the hd led and everyone complains how bright is is when I ride behind them. One of the best if not the best mod ive done

Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have HID's installed on my bike, I ride with some friends who have the LED, and my light is just as bright, just a whole lot less $$$, and it is very visible during the day. But I do like the look of the LED, I don't think I will buy one if they make it for the RG though, unless they can come in under $200 for the whole set up, I paid $50 and couldn't be happier.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
lilricky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I have HID's installed on my bike, I ride with some friends who have the LED, and my light is just as bright, just a whole lot less $$$, and it is very visible during the day. But I do like the look of the LED, I don't think I will buy one if they make it for the RG though, unless they can come in under $200 for the whole set up, I paid $50 and couldn't be happier.
Where did you get your HID's? I have one in my Road King that was a plug/play bulb w/ballast. Since it wasn't designed(focused) for the stock headlight, I find the light to be very scattered at night. Everyone can see me coming day/night and those traffic signs shine like they are lit up, but the distance in front of my bike that is lit leaves something to be desired.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer

I tried the HD LED and it was great at night but was told that it was hardly visible during the day. Returned it and got a PIAA Intense White bulb. Much better during the day and OK at night. See video below at dusk for the PIAA bulb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvMQ6HpiqsI

Another option is the Cibie or Hella headlamp with an Osram 70/65W +50 bulb. This guy sells them -I am not associated with this vendor - but he seems to know his stuff. He has a lot of info on his web site.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

visibility is important. maybe you could compensate by puting some spining police lights on the fairing.

In all seriousness the LED should be enough light for the average person to see. Just get louder pipes so they can hear you.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM
10ring
Road Captain

I installed the LED headlight on my FLHRC and didn't mention it to my buddies as we went for a daytime ride. I'm usually the one bringing up the rear. When we stopped for a break several of the guys wanted to know what I did to my bike, as it was so bright. That was enough evidence for me.

Quick Reply: HD LED Light - Lack of Daytime Brightness?