Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD LED Light - Lack of Daytime Brightness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:25 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading this thread, I took a closer look at the LED headlights of 2 of my riding buddies today. About 9 of us were riding, 2 have the LED, since I was leading I was able to observe everybody in my mirrors. What I noticed is when the bikes with the LEDs were almost directly behind me and on a straight road the light is very bright, but if we were in a curve or more than a certain angle off, the light was almost nonexistent. I don't no about the after market brands, both of my friends have the HD and with the passing lights.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
After reading this thread, I took a closer look at the LED headlights of 2 of my riding buddies today. About 9 of us were riding, 2 have the LED, since I was leading I was able to observe everybody in my mirrors. What I noticed is when the bikes with the LEDs were almost directly behind me and on a straight road the light is very bright, but if we were in a curve or more than a certain angle off, the light was almost nonexistent. I don't no about the after market brands, both of my friends have the HD and with the passing lights.
Thanks for sharing that info.. This is kind of what I'm worrying about. One of the times that we really need to be seen is when someone is making a right turn. If we aren't in the right field of vision for them to see the HD LED head light, then we could blend in to the scenery, then BAM right turn. It makes me nervous. Hmmm....

Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
SinCityJets
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this, I think the Truck-Lite version is for me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Chad

Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cheeze
I sold my LED Headlight because i was concerned i wouldnt be seen in the daytime. It is bright if you stand directly in front of it and at night. However if you stand about 15 yards in front of the light and walk a few paces to the right or left you will see that the brightness goes away immediately.......very very dim light from the side. This concerned me that cagers pulling out from either side might not see me.
My buddy has all three on his Ultra CVO and his wife has one on her Sportster. When my wife and I ride with them, and I'm leading, they aren't nearly as visible as my wife when going around corners and curves.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by Matt0987
The LED has a horizontal cut off at the top of the beam. Which is no problem when you are driving straight and level. But when you are on the twisties at night and you lean into a turn this horizontal line dips below the road surface and it is as though a black curtain is placed over the road. It can be unsettleing the first few times you experience it. Eventually you learn to drive through it. And, with the factory beam alignment, the left passing light is of no help.
We borrowed my buddy's wife's bike for a night, so we could get a feel for the LED headlight. We experienced the same thing with the horizontal cutoff and yes, we found it very unnerving around corners.

Neither my wife nor I are interested in the LED lighting system after what we've seen, from both sides of the light
(not that I have much choice, at this point in time).

Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by Matt0987
The LED has a horizontal cut off at the top of the beam.
The Truck Lite brand does not have a horizontal cut-off at the top of the beam - it is very much a cone of light. It's funny, but the cone shaped beam was one of the complaints I had about the T/L lights. Pass a semi and you're lighting the whole side of the trailer. Follow a semi with the polished rear doors and instant daylight.

I hadn't thought about the horizontal cut-off being an issue in the curves. I guess I need to rethink my complaint about the cone....

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ks6c
The Truck Lite brand does not have a horizontal cut-off at the top of the beam - it is very much a cone of light. It's funny, but the cone shaped beam was one of the complaints I had about the T/L lights. Pass a semi and you're lighting the whole side of the trailer. Follow a semi with the polished rear doors and instant daylight.

I hadn't thought about the horizontal cut-off being an issue in the curves. I guess I need to rethink my complaint about the cone....
Actually the cone shape is what i would want out of an LED light, since I want the sides of the road lit up as far down as possible so I can see those 4-legged critters looking to dart out onto the road in front of me. I've been up in the air about which way to go myself, but I think this thread has tipped the scales to the T/L-Kury side. Looks like more of what I'm looking for at a much lower price than the HD version.

For those of you with the Kury LEDs, did they fit ok with the stock headlight bezel or did you get the Kury version to go with it?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
lilricky
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider

For those of you with the Kury LEDs, did they fit ok with the stock headlight bezel or did you get the Kury version to go with it?
I just installed the TL/Kury headlight and hiway lights. I used the HD classic looking trim rings and all three fit like a glove. I would think the headlight might look a little strange with the stock ring just because of the way the light is built.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider

The Truck-Lite headlight fit very well, it was the passing lamps that took a bit of finesse. The passing lamps have an orientation ring that fits inside the bezel, and the OEM bulbs have a clocking tab that lets you align the top of the lamp with the top of the housing. The T/L passing lamps don't have a clocking tab, so you're holding the light and tightening the bezel and hoping you get it lined up right. May not seem important, but the passing lamp LEDs are oriented horizontally inside the bulbs themselves, so if you don't have them parallel to the ground, or lined up with each other, it's very noticeable (especially those of us with OCD!).